Respected Contributor

Virus protection...pop ups....help !

I am not computer savvy...My brother in law set up my computer a few years ago. Now, I am having an awful time with pop ups/coupons on my screen . I don't think I have any protection from a virus. Can you tell me what's going on with my computer with all these pop ups?

Respected Contributor

Re: Virus protection...pop ups....help !

If you don't have an antivirus program, you have a mess. I'd suggest you look and see which program is installed and post back.

Super Contributor

Hopefully, they're just ads. Don't click on any of them unless there's a little "x" up in the right corner that will make it go away. There are free anti-virus programs you can get, but you should have someone do it for you.

Contributor

I just in countered this problem a few minutes ago, ads, pop ups,etc There is a x in the corner but that doesn't help in getting rid of it. Only site this is happening on is Q. Hope some one can help me. I have virus protection and I ran all the scans but it is still there.

Esteemed Contributor

On 8/14/2014 imaklutz said:

I just in countered this problem a few minutes ago, ads, pop ups,etc There is a x in the corner but that doesn't help in getting rid of it. Only site this is happening on is Q. Hope some one can help me. I have virus protection and I ran all the scans but it is still there.

You have some malware. Try free Malwarebytes. It may do the job.

Respected Contributor

On 8/14/2014 imaklutz said:

How up to date is it? As posted, download, install, update and run Malwarebytes. I also like Superantispyware which is free.

Honored Contributor

Another thing that helps is to go into your browser settings and add some extensions/add-ons with names such as:

AdBlock Edge
AdBlock Plus
Adblock Plus Pop-up Addon

Few things reveal your intellect and your generosity of spirit—the parallel powers of your heart and mind—better than how you give feedback.~Maria Popova
Respected Contributor

I've never used browser extensions to block ads and don't have any popups. It's usually malware that needs to be removed.

Esteemed Contributor

On 8/14/2014 glb613 said:

I've never used browser extensions to block ads and don't have any popups. It's usually malware that needs to be removed.

It is probably malware. These block programs are quite good.

Honored Contributor

And remember to open and run the software or schedule runs and make sure they're happening. Some people download anti-virus software and think that's it, they're protected. You have to update the virus definitions or it will be protecting you from old viruses but not the new ones being created every day. You also have to run it to clean out anything that got in between updates.