Respected Contributor

I watch & listen to Utube a lot - meditations, talks, etc...and lately I seem to notice a lot of background static and sound interruptions that last a few seconds and then get back to normal.  Almost like its buffering or freezing up.  I don't recall this happening so much in the past when I listened.

Anyone else xperience this?  I have an HP laptop pavilion, about 4 years old.  Only use it for internet and typing a few letters, watching some exercise videos on the CD player, etc....I am the only user.

Any tips would b appreciated.  Thank u. 

I am using a Ninja replacement battery.  My original battery burned out a couple years ago.  This is my 2nd replacement battery and I've been using it for about 6 months.

Flowers are nature's way of laughing
Honored Contributor

Try resetting your wi-fi router by unplugging the power cord (for 15 sec) then plug it back in. That will reset it and clear out any unnecessary junk data which accumulates inside the router over time which can cause slower speeds and glitches.

Respected Contributor

@SilleeMee wrote:

Try resetting your wi-fi router by unplugging the power cord (for 15 sec) then plug it back in. That will reset it and clear out any unnecessary junk data which accumulates inside the router over time which can cause slower speeds and glitches.

Is the wi-fi router the upright box that has the lights lit for power/online/phone/5g/etc.... - the cable box is the horizontal one w/the time always lit?  Do I just unplug the main power cord and let everything reboot, cable included?

Honored Contributor

Re: Utube Static

[ Edited ]

@jellyBEAN wrote:

@SilleeMee wrote:

Is the wi-fi router the upright box that has the lights lit for power/online/phone/5g/etc.... - the cable box is the horizontal one w/the time always lit?  Do I just unplug the main power cord and let everything reboot, cable included?

@jellyBEAN 

Yes, unplug the power cord (wi-fi router with blniking lights) from the electrical outlet on the wall. It will reboot after you plug it back in...should take a few minutes to reboot.

Esteemed Contributor

@jellyBEAN

You can check the quality of your internet service by streaming YouTube with a browser. 

Respected Contributor

@Nuttmeg wrote:

@jellyBEAN

You can check the quality of your internet service by streaming YouTube with a browser. 

Hmmmm, I am not up on technology (as u can probably tell) and to be honest, I don't understand what exactly "streaming" is.  I use Firefox as my web browser.  When I open my computer, I hit the Firefox icon at the bottom (Windows 10) and it brings me to my email page. 

From there I have a bar up top which has an already opened utube page, facebook page, QVC community (usually), my inbox - things that I normally go into all the time I just leave open up there, click on the tab and get to where I want to go and change as needed. 

You think I should call the internet company?  I have Spectrum.  I've rebooted but still notice the static hesitations from time to time.  Not even sure if that's "normal" these days with so many users now at home on their computers.  I guess calling them wouldn't hurt.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@jellyBEAN 

Have you tried using a different browser? Also, make sure you're using an up-to-date browser.

What "streaming" means is watching or listening to something which comes to you via internet as opposed to it coming from your cable or satellite TV services.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@jellyBEAN 

Check your internet speed in google. Search:

"What is my internet speed" 

Run the test. To view most videos on the internet you need at least 3-5 mbps or 25 mbps for 4K. If your speed is too slow then there might be a reason to call your internet provider. 

Please run that test and let me know what you get (download speed).

Respected Contributor

@SilleeMee wrote:

@jellyBEAN 

Check your internet speed in google. Search:

"What is my internet speed" 

Run the test. To view most videos on the internet you need at least 3-5 mbps or 25 mbps for 4K. If your speed is too slow then there might be a reason to call your internet provider. 

Please run that test and let me know what you get (download speed).

I did an xfinity speed test and it said 51.0 mbps

I did call my internet provider Spectrum earlier, and the person I spoke w/disconnected me somehow.  I thought she would call me back since she had all my info (was on my landline and they also provide that service for me), but she never did, so I just gave up.

Utube is the only thing I listen to online and I usually listen to long meditations or health talks.  Its hard to try and meditate when you get all this crackling and static every so often - almost like its buffering or something.  It could be worse I guess but it can be annoying.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

I still think it's a browser issue. A couple of things you can do is: 1) clear your history (cache)  and  2) update the browser. Access those from the menu found in the 3 dash lines at the far-upper-right corner of your screen.

Clear the cache
  1. Click the menu button. and select Options. ...
  2. Select the Privacy & Security panel.
  3. In the Cookies and Site Data section, click Clear Data….
  4. Remove the check mark in front of Cookies and Site Data. ...
  5. With Cached Web Content check marked, click the Clear button.
  6. Close the preferences page.

Update Firefox
  1. Click the menu button , click. Help and select About Firefox. On the menu bar click the Firefox menu and select About Firefox.
  2. The About Mozilla Firefox Firefox window opens. Firefox will check for updates and download them automatically.
  3. When the download is complete, click Restart to update Firefox.

As a last resort you can download another browser, for example Chrome, and use that one instead.

@jellyBEAN