Respected Contributor

Using Aluminum Foil to Strengthen Wi-Fi Signal

[ Edited ]

Has anyone tried this?

One article said foil with 3D reflectors is best. I probably don’t have the proper search terms, but I cannot find any information on this special foil.

ETA: Putting a piece of foil behind a modem.

Respected Contributor

Re: Using Aluminum Foil to Strengthen Wi-Fi Signal

wrote:

Has anyone tried this?

One article said foil with 3D reflectors is best. I probably don’t have the proper search terms, but I cannot find any information on this special foil.

ETA: Putting a piece of foil behind a modem.

Back in the "rabbit ears days" you put aluminium foil on your antenna to improve reception.  Your router is sending a signal and that trick won't work.  I recently bought a new Linksys router and it is wonderful.  I went from a download speed of 10 mbps to 90-100 mbps and all of my wireless devices work sooo much better. The picture quality on my TV when I stream is better as well.  

There are some things to try that might help.  Move the router to a central location and as high off the floor as you can.  If you have antenna on the router, position it towards the area you need a better signal.  You can also buy a repeater and plug in it closer to the area where the signal is weak.  Before I'd buy a repeater, I'd buy a new router.  I don't know why I didn't get a new stronger signal router before now.