Esteemed Contributor

Several years ago I took the time to set up a unique username and password for each account/site.

Still keep them on a locked spreadsheet - with a password 😎

Remember your executor needs this information.

Honored Contributor

I was forced to write down all the information when I worked.

We had so many log in layers, it was crazy.

There were also other apps specific to my job to log in

The good news is, most of them stay open all day until you log out but a few were on a timer, after a certain amount of time, you would get bounced off & have to log in again

I had to write it all down, then did the same with my personal accounts.

Respected Contributor

Several years ago I bought a Rolodex that spins around for all my Log Ins and Passwords. It is fast to find what I want by just turning to the letter of the alphabet I need.

I make a different Log In and Password for almost every site. That way it is easy to find them in my Rolodex but they only mean something to me in what I use.

I was told many years ago leave a letter out of a word. Such as Precious and do Preciou instead.

I tried a notebook and even in alphabetical order I find it easier with just spinning the Rolodex around and putting the most used Log In and Passwords in first behind of each section.

Respected Contributor

@glb613  et al, for some reason I don't feel comfortable to out this information on a computer.  Anyone else feel the same?  S

Respected Contributor

@Lilysmom1 wrote:

@glb613  et al, for some reason I don't feel comfortable to out this information on a computer.  Anyone else feel the same?  S

If you don't feel comfortable saving on your computer, don't.  You can always create a document or spreadsheet and print it out without saving.  You'll have to manually make changes on it.  I do both.  

My main point was not to promote where you save the information but, how important it is to have this information somewhere easily located and organized.  I can't believe what I see when I help people with computer problems.  Little bits and pieces of paper with user names and passwords written and some don't indicate which site it's for. 

The most important user names and passwords you need to have saved and available in the case of a computer problem are:

1.  Computer log on or sign in

2.  Apple ID or Microsoft ID

3.  Network name and password

4.  Any online storage service or backup

5.  Programs' serial number or authorization numbers

My friend I helped with her new iPad yesterday finally got the importance of having the information organized and easily accessible.  This is especially true when it comes to your Apple ID and network name and password.  We had created a backup stored in the cloud and wouldn't have been able to use it if she didn't have her information. 

Honored Contributor

@Lilysmom1 wrote:

@Lilysmom1 

I just keep a small notebook with all the sites I have accounts with.  Nothing gets entered into the computer that way.  But I refer to it all the time and if something happens to me, it would be easy for someone else to be able to get to my accounts.

It's also easy to change manually when I change passwords or other information.

Esteemed Contributor

Good Post!! I have a password book that I purchased from Amazon a few years back. I have all of my password written down in that book, and I have the book stored in a safe location in my home.

At work we have to change our passwords every three months, I pretty much use the same password and change a number at the end each time I need to renew.

I had a GF last year that lost her husband to COVID. Thank God for her daughter, who lives out of state. The husband paid all of the bills and she had no idea about any passwords. (Silent Scream) Her daughter had to reset every password for her, and get her situated. If it's a two person household, it's important that both parties have all of the pertinent information. 

Esteemed Contributor

There are password manager sites that you can use for this.  I also use an Excel spreadsheet but it has a password on it.  You should NEVER keep these stored on pieces of paper, notepads or other unsecured methods!

Knowledge is knowing that a tomato is a fruit, but Wisdom is knowing not to put it in a fruit salad.
- Author Unknown
Esteemed Contributor

Re: User names and password

[ Edited ]

@Lilysmom1 wrote:

I won't do this either.  When your computer is no longer workable, the data is still there.  It can be found if someone wants to find it.  I try shopping places and going to sites more that don't require me to create an account (password and name).  I sick of remembering passwords and I'm not about to compromise important information by password locking it on the computer to turn right around and forget that password too.  LOL.  I'm not writing it down in a book either.  That to me, defeats the whole purpose.

A Negative Mind ~ Will give you a Negative Life
Esteemed Contributor

@ruthbe : I do the same; I have used a small address book for 15 years (DH also has one). If a PA changes I use an address label over my entry.  You should see my little book!  Its a huge help ( recently I had to reinforce spine with duct tape). We use computers for most things but we still use those little books and a smallish paper calendar to keep track of appointments ( usually Drs and hotel reservations).