Respected Contributor

The past month I've been trying to help friends with their computer problems.  The biggest obstacle?  They don't know user names and passwords!  Several had a bunch of pieces of paper with names and passwords written down but, no indication which site or what it was associated.  If this is you, get organized.  No one can really resolve a problem without starting over when we can't access either the computer or a problem site. 

Trusted Contributor

one thing that i did to help me get organized with allll of my passwords..... I got a small address book.  A-Z.  For example....QVC...my user name and password for q card would be under Q.  I also work at home on a computer.  I have several different passwords I have to keep track of for work  And these keep changing.  This little book helps me keep organized.

Super Contributor

Several years ago I ran across some little books made expressly for keeping track of passwords.  I bought several, giving one to my husband, my brother and sister-in-law and keeping one for myself.  I have found over the years, that I am the only one to have used it.  My point being....you can't make some people get organized unless they want to be.  Good luck!

Respected Contributor

@IdahoGram wrote:

Several years ago I ran across some little books made expressly for keeping track of passwords.  I bought several, giving one to my husband, my brother and sister-in-law and keeping one for myself.  I have found over the years, that I am the only one to have used it.  My point being....you can't make some people get organized unless they want to be.  Good luck!

You're preaching to the choir.  I've told people for years and it falls on deaf ears.  Beware, when people can't access your "stuff", they either can't help or have to restore and everything is lost. 

Respected Contributor

This is one of my pet peeves.  At work, I am sometimes the go-to computer person.  Someone will specifically come to my office for assistance because their computer "doesn't work".  I ask them to input their password, and they don't know it!! Well of course your computer doesn't work.  My mind shut down, and I tell them I cannot help them.  No excuse for a professional.

-- pro-aging --

Rochester, New York
Honored Contributor

@glb613   I have an address book with all passwords and usernames written down.  I have a lot of different companies that I deal with for work and would never remember all the security information with out the info written down.

I may not have much knowledge on how a computer works and how to 'fix' an issue, I do know that keeping track of passwords is really important.  

It's kind of you to help people with their computer issues..I rely on you and others on this board to help me and I really appreciate it!!

Respected Contributor

@glb613 , I keep a password book also.  I also bought a small version and copied it into the new book and keep it in the safe in case anything happens to me.  Yesterday I was booking travel for DH and I was on a website of a major travel company.  The password did not work.  It took us two hours on the phone and on the computer to resolve it and get a new password.  That is a whole other discussion...sites very difficult to navigate...and it was a major credit card company.  At the end of 5he day, their tech support was useless.  We fixed it ourselves,  S

Respected Contributor

@Lilysmom1 wrote:

@glb613 , I keep a password book also.  I also bought a small version and copied it into the new book and keep it in the safe in case anything happens to me.  Yesterday I was booking travel for DH and I was on a website of a major travel company.  The password did not work.  It took us two hours on the phone and on the computer to resolve it and get a new password.  That is a whole other discussion...sites very difficult to navigate...and it was a major credit card company.  At the end of 5he day, their tech support was useless.  We fixed it ourselves,  S

I created a document in Pages, I have a Mac, and I add, modify or delete user names and passwords as needed.  Some sites force you to change your password every 6 months and I don't have the memory these days to not write it down. Yesterday I created a Zoom meetings log in numbers and passwords.  As the Zoom meetings continue to grow, I found myself with multiple pieces of paper on my cork board and decided I needed to prectice what I preach.

I'm currently trying to help a friend set up her new iPad and she can't remember her Apple ID.  The same thing happened last week with a different friend.  Each had multiple pieces of paper with user names and passwords but, didn't identify which company or site.  You can only sign in so many times incorrectly before you are locked out.  I have a feeling we'll be calling Apple support today. 

If you are one of those who is not organized, please do yourself and the people who help you and get organized.  Make a list, keep it where you can find it and modify as needed. 

Respected Contributor

@glb613 wrote:

@Lilysmom1 wrote:

I created a document in Pages, I have a Mac, and I add, modify or delete user names and passwords as needed.  Some sites force you to change your password every 6 months and I don't have the memory these days to not write it down. Yesterday I created a Zoom meetings log in numbers and passwords.  As the Zoom meetings continue to grow, I found myself with multiple pieces of paper on my cork board and decided I needed to prectice what I preach.

I'm currently trying to help a friend set up her new iPad and she can't remember her Apple ID.  The same thing happened last week with a different friend.  Each had multiple pieces of paper with user names and passwords but, didn't identify which company or site.  You can only sign in so many times incorrectly before you are locked out.  I have a feeling we'll be calling Apple support today. 

If you are one of those who is not organized, please do yourself and the people who help you and get organized.  Make a list, keep it where you can find it and modify as needed. 

I do the same and have for years.  This method works best for me also.

Super Contributor

What a timely post for me!  I've been researching password manager programs.  I currently use an Excel spreadsheet which contains a hyperlink to each website, and my user names and passwords.  This just doesn't feel secure enough anymore.  I don't store this document on any Cloud, but that means it not always accessible when I need it such when I'm at work or using my phone out and about.  In this digital age I feel like I need to step up my efforts and security. 

Does anyone have any experience with password manager programs?  Recommendations?

~~Keep calm and hug your pets~~