Honored Contributor

*UPDATE* 👉🏿 Apple's HomePod Speaker 👈🏿

Apple's rival to the Amazon Echo and Google Home is finally ready to make its debut.

The tech giant announced Tuesday it will launch its $349faint.gif HomePod speaker on February 9. Preorders for the device kick off January 26.

The wireless speaker is considered Apple's contender in the surging smart speaker market, already dominated by Amazon with its popular line of Echo devices, along with Google Home. But it missed the important holiday shopping season. The speaker, unveiled in June, was supposed to hit shelves in December — but Apple delayed it, saying it just wasn't ready. 

Where Apple hopes to separate itself from competitors is in sound quality. The tech giant boasts HomePod will offer stunning audio regardless of where the device is placed in a user's home.

"We think they will be blown away by the audio quality," said Phil Schiller, Apple's senior vice president of marketing, in a statement.

The speaker will be available in two colors: white and space gray.

Apple faces a daunting challenge: entering a speaker market with two well-established players. This year, nearly 70% of smart speaker users will use the Echo, according to research firm eMarketer, while 25% will use Google Home.

However, it's clear consumers have grown more comfortable with a digital voice in their homes. More than 45 million Americans will use a smart speaker this year, said eMarketer. 

ARTICLE LINK

"Never argue with a fool. Onlookers may not be able to tell the difference."

220-AuCC-US-CRM-Header-Update.gif

Honored Contributor

Re: *UPDATE* 👉🏿 Apple's HomePod Speaker 👈🏿

For $349., it ought to unload the dishwasher and mop the floor.  I get fantastic sound from my $39., Dot plus a $99 sale Bose speaker.

New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment
Honored Contributor

Like the Google Home, it's not even compatible w/computers!

Esteemed Contributor

[ Edited ]

I think I’ll wait this one out.  Maybe version 2.  I confess I am not even on speaking terms with SIRI.  😳LM

Esteemed Contributor

Our family has six of the Echo family.  They are spectacular; why would I spend a minimum of four times the cost for an Apple product.  Apple is getting very greedy, just heard they are discontinuing the iPhone X ($1000 a pop) in June.  

Esteemed Contributor

@patbz are discontinuing X?  LM

Esteemed Contributor

@Lilysmom: Yes, announced yesterday that it is being discontinued in

June before they release their new models.  I  am glad, prices of smart phones are too high!

Esteemed Contributor

@patbz, thanks for the reply.  Why are they discontinuing?  I am a bit confused.  Because the cost is too much?  Never heard of Apple shying away from big prices.  I wish!  LM

Honored Contributor

@Lilysmom

Do a Google search.  It's all over the web.  Can't post the links here because the articles have retail links in them.

Apple is doing away w/the first generation iPHone X.

Highlighted
Esteemed Contributor

@Mz iMac, will do, thanks.  LM