Honored Contributor

Re: Trying to activate new Tracfone

I got everything resolved and my phone activated by using MS Edge as @bayflwc  suggested (Thanks!).  I got my account reinstated although I was 3 days beyond my service expiration, so I didn't lose my phone number or minutes.  All's well with the world temporarily.

New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment
Super Contributor

I just added minutes... they took my $50.   Now, I cannot get back in to see my usage numbers.  

I keep getting the verify the picture screen over and over.  It never gives me my password prompt.

I called and they were of no help.   How could I just have got in, paid for my refill, and now they won't let me in?

I am not going to sit here for hours verifying stupid pictures.  

I tried Chrome & Firefox.  It's ridiculous.   They took my money and now don't trust me?

I am worried as I didn't get a email confirmation of my transaction.

I am so sick and tired of having trouble with this site.   But they have no trouble taking my money.

Super Contributor

What is wrong with Fox and Chrome?    Why MS Edge?   That makes no sense.

They are all valid web browsers.

How could they take my money no issues earlier and now I can't get in on the same browser?

Honored Contributor

@Ladygray wrote:

What is wrong with Fox and Chrome?    Why MS Edge?   That makes no sense.

They are all valid web browsers.

How could they take my money no issues earlier and now I can't get in on the same browser?

Some websites are very picky on what browser to use and have issues. It's not as common now as it was ten years or so ago, but it still pops up from time to time. Sites made with off-the-shelf software or through sites that specialize in creating websites (Wix, GoDaddy, SquareSpace, etc.) tend to work well with any browser. When you have your own web designer who does things from scratch (as some companies like TracFone might) then things can get a bit messier.

Those web designers may not be as skilled as you'd like in things like HTML 5 and the assorted plug-ins that are common. They'll typically test their software on unmodified versions of a browser, but a customer's plug-ins (ad blocker, coupon searcher, password monitor, antivirus, etc.) can alter how their software behaves and make their website unusable or create issues they didn't foresee.

Websites created using commercially available software or a web design company tend to show how they were created at the bottom of their home page. Tracfone's site doesn't show that. That would imply they make their website in-house and their web designer isn't quite as adept as would be ideal. 

Given the number of plug-ins that exist in the real world, to say nothing of the number and types of web browsers, making a website that works with everything is challenging. There are people out there still using software and plug-ins that are ten years old or more. The number of possible software combinations a website could see is likely in the millions if not billions. 

Should Tracfone's site work better? Absolutely. But fixing a broken site so it works with more browsers isn't always the easiest or fastest thing to do. I suspect they're working on a solution, but these things take time.

Fly!!! Eagles!!! Fly!!!
Esteemed Contributor

All these new problems since Verizon took over.  I still use a Tracfone but I switched my husband to Consumer Cellular.  We'll see.  

Trees are the lungs of the Earth