Contributor

Transfering from one PC to another PC

I would like to find an easy way to transfer all data from my old PC to a new PC.  Any suggestions???  TYIA

Honored Contributor

Re: Transfering from one PC to another PC

Dowoad "Transfer Wizard" app.  It'll do your transfer.

New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment
Respected Contributor

@cubagal wrote:

I would like to find an easy way to transfer all data from my old PC to a new PC.  Any suggestions???  TYIA

Use your backup. 

Honored Contributor

Any important data should have been being backed up all along, so you could then simply use your backup to reinstall the data on the new PC. I back up my most important stuff on a couple of clouds (Amazon's and Microsoft's) so I can access it from anywhere. There are also roughly a gazillion other options too though.

The easiest (if you don't mind messing around inside both computers) is to simply pull the hard drive from the old computer and add it to your new computer. As long as you don't make it your boot drive the computer will ignore the old OS on it and you can still read the data from it.

Removing the hard drive is typically pretty easy. Many computer cases just use a locking mechanism, but some use four screws to hold the hard drive in place. Simply loosen the drive (unlock or unscrew it) and then remove the power cable from the back of the hard drive and then unplug the SATA cable that goes from the hard drive to the motherboard from the motherboard.

Open the case on the new computer, find an empty drive bay. Slide in the old hard drive and secure it in place (screws or locking mechanism.) Find an unused SATA port on the new motherboard and plug in the SATA cable you brought over. Find a power cable that fits from the power supply and plug that in, and you'll be good to go. Just power on the new computer and it should auto-detect the new/old hard drive and you can then continue to use it for your data and extra storage on the new computer.

Fly!!! Eagles!!! Fly!!!
Esteemed Contributor

I backup data to.Carbonite. I save photos to a Google photo, and Amazon photo. Google photo is free.with unlimited storage,and Amazon you need to be a Prime member.

Transfers I use a HD.

Occasional Contributor

Unless you have an external hard drive, the next easiest way is to use OneDrive or another cloud based storage service.  Good luck!