QVC Customer Care
Respected Contributor

Re: Tracfone software updates?

I've never gotten a TEXT re updates--just the usual notification that shows up with the icon at the top of the phone, and in the notification shade: "You have 19 apps to be updated," which I NEVER do. I update NOTHING, as there are too many opportunities for mischief (Google is your friend--"[This happened/disappeared, that happened/disappeared after I updated whatever lol." I used to just clear the notices when they appeared. Now I have preferences set to not get them.

What worries you masters you.
Trusted Contributor

Thank you for all the replies, everyone!  I heard my phone buzz this morning, looked over, and saw it had restarted.  I thought that was weird, but maybe it crashed or something.  Nope.  The update was installing itself.  It restarted again mid-process and that was it.  I got a notification that it updated successfully and that was that.  I wonder how often those updates will happen.  

*QVC Community member since 10/24/2006*
Honored Contributor

@Stargazer77

If you don't want your phone to automatically update, turn off that feature. Every internet capable phone I have had from my many with Tracfones has had that feature.

Just like my computers and tablets, I don't want them to auto-update. I prefer seeing what the update is about and I decide if it gets installed. Many updates are nothing but trouble, even if they are legit. Internet Explorer updates at times create problems because all the bugs were not found before it was released.

My choice is always "show me the available updates" and I'll take it from there.

hckynut(john)

hckynut(john)
New Contributor

i think its a scam or either tracfone wants you to think that but you would maybe have to pay for it or go to a technician at tracfone or call them to do that and if you do that it might disable your service and minutes or whatever.

New Contributor

maybe your phone did that by itself,and for no reason i never got that message

New Contributor

maybe just use your service instead like 4G LTE  or 3G.which ever service...just maybe dont use wifi because it might keep sending you that message and one day you might  be all like "GRRR*throws phone******* THS!" because you might get alot of notifications...unless if you never get angry about it.Just dont press it..maybe just try calling tracfone on a day you think they will answer and if they dont answer in one week then maybe do it on saturday or sunday

New Contributor

maybe just remove it it from your samsung tracfone cell phone by pressing the garbage can button or by holding down and press a garbage can button if thats a thing....

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Stargazer77 wrote:

I received a text message from what looked like a Tracfone number (when they send text messages)...24719.  It said, "Service MSG: Your phone requires a software update.  You will receive a notification on your phone.  Turn your WiFi on to receive this update.  Please click 'Install' to update.  It's safe and secure."  

Does Tracfone send these types of messages?  This is actually the 2nd one I've received, the first one was on August 12.  My WiFi was turned off and nothing happened.  Tonight my WiFi was turned on because I was using my phone and the update downloaded and it's sitting in my notificiation area (that you pull down from the top of the screen) waiting for me to tap it and install it.  

Has anyone else experienced this?  I didn't think Tracfone sent updates, so I haven't clicked install.  Unfortunately, I can't get rid of it from my notification area, even after restarting my phone.  There's a blue notification icon in the upper left notification bar on my phone, where your current temperature goes if you use a weather app.

I tried to do a live chat with Tracfone CS, but they are busy and said to contact them later.  Since their CS hours are almost over, I didn't want to do that tonight.  I've run an Avast scan and it came back clean.  Any advice or opinions about this? 

I got this same message recently. It is a software update is all. My Samsung phone would not allow me to log on until I updated it. Anyway , it's no big deal.

I thought it was from Samsung , not Tracfone. And it only took about a min. to do it. My DH & I both got it on our Samsung phones.

Frequent Contributor

I got the same messages and did update.  Does anyone know if I can remove it?