Trusted Contributor

Tracfone software updates?

[ Edited ]

I received a text message from what looked like a Tracfone number (when they send text messages)...24719.  It said, "Service MSG: Your phone requires a software update.  You will receive a notification on your phone.  Turn your WiFi on to receive this update.  Please click 'Install' to update.  It's safe and secure."  

Does Tracfone send these types of messages?  This is actually the 2nd one I've received, the first one was on August 12.  My WiFi was turned off and nothing happened.  Tonight my WiFi was turned on because I was using my phone and the update downloaded and it's sitting in my notificiation area (that you pull down from the top of the screen) waiting for me to tap it and install it.  

Has anyone else experienced this?  I didn't think Tracfone sent updates, so I haven't clicked install.  Unfortunately, I can't get rid of it from my notification area, even after restarting my phone.  There's a blue notification icon in the upper left notification bar on my phone, where your current temperature goes if you use a weather app.

I tried to do a live chat with Tracfone CS, but they are busy and said to contact them later.  Since their CS hours are almost over, I didn't want to do that tonight.  I've run an Avast scan and it came back clean.  Any advice or opinions about this? 

*QVC Community member since 10/24/2006*
Honored Contributor

Re: Tracfone software updates?

I've had a TracFone for years and I've never gotten a message like that.  I just checked my phone and there's no msg. 

New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment

[ Edited ]

YES!! My husband's TracPhone (Samsung - just purchased a few months ago) received the exact same text message this evening (and also mid August which he quickly deleted)  and even though he deleted this new text message, it evidently still "did its thing" as he now has a notification on his pull down screen telling him to tap to install.  He even tried taking the battery out, but when phone came back on, the notification is still there.   I have an LG TracPhone and I never got any of these messages.

Trusted Contributor

@NanniT  Mine is a Samsung too.  It's a Samsung Galaxy Sky, also purchased a few months ago.  I hate that I can't get rid of the notification because 1) it's clutter and 2) I'm afraid I'm accidentally going to tap it and install it.  Ugh.

Esteemed Contributor

I have not received a notification of an update but after reading this thread checked directly from phone (settings, software update) and there is a legitimate update available.

Since I initiated the contact I am downloading the update and will install it.

It may be a fairly large update as the instructions said to put the phone on charger then download over wifi.

My phone is the Samsung Sky.

The eyes through which you see others may be the same as how they see you.
Trusted Contributor

Thanks @Marp.  That's so interesting.  I did the same thing after the last text message in August.  I went in through the settings menu, which I trust and there was nothing there.  Let me know how it works out for you and what kind of update it is if you can tell.  To my knowledge, Tracfone has never done updates in the past.  You and I have the same phone.

Ok, I just went into my settings menu and it said on the bottom software update.  I clicked on it and it said I could install or postpone.  I clicked postpone for now and the lightning bolt went away from my notification area.  Let me know how you make out.  I guess it's a legitimate update after all.  I wonder if all Tracfones going forward will have that. 

Honored Contributor

@Stargazer77

I have been with Tracfone since their beginning and have never received anything that talked about updating software. There are people like myself that do not text, but are quite familiar with the technologies of today.

TracFone has never asked me, via any type of message, to download an upgrade. Like my satellite company, I am quite sure it can be done on their end, without their customer actively doing anything.

My suggestion would be to ignore this text and get rid of it, post haste. Sounds like a scam/spam/maleware/ trojan horse etc. to me.

hckynut(john)

hckynut(john)
Trusted Contributor

@Stargazer77

My 81 year old Dad received the same message on his Tracfone. Only problem is he doesn't have wi-fi & rarely leaves the house. If the phone legitimately needs an update I'll have to take it home with me & do the update. He's had several Tracfones & this i the first time I've ever seen a message about a software update. 

Esteemed Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Stargazer77, the update and installation went smoothly but it did take a long time. I would definitely heed the warning to plug the phone into the charger and use wifi.  If the phone runs out of power during the installation it could cause major problems.

Unfortunately I made the mistake of not recording what the versions were before the update so I can't tell exactly what was updated.

The software update shows:

Software version MMB29.MS320VLUDU3AQF2

Baseband version S320VLUDU3AQF2

These are the versions showing after the update from about device:

Android version 6.0.1

Android security patch level June 1, 2017

Baseband version S320VLUD3AQF2

Kernel version 3.10.49-9411209; dpi@SWDG2912 #1

Build number MMB29M.S320VLUDU3AQF2

SE for Android status Enforcing; SEPF_SECMOBILE_6.0.1_0030: Fri Jun 23 10:01:37 2017

Hardware version S320VL.04

Security software version ASKS v1.2_161011

Knox version 2.6 (there are a number of items listed here--if needed let me know and I will enter them)

Hope this helps.

The eyes through which you see others may be the same as how they see you.

I got two 24719 messages.  The 2nd one yesterday and then Downloading occurred by itself and took a while and then  Notification requesting I tap Install  that I couln't get rid of.

This morning noticed Install started by itself  while in my pocket.   Took quite a while to complete, maybe 20-30 minutes.  No message about plugging it in but maybe I didn't see it because my phone was in my pocket. 

I have two SM-S320VL  Samsung Sky  phones and I am guessing the Android security patch level changed from October 1 2016 to June 1 2017 in the updated phone.  Android version is still 6.0.1 in both phones.     

I hadn't realized Settings>Software update meant operating system update.  thanks.