Contributor

I have an old non-android Tracfone (LG306) that has 2000 minutes on it.  I'd like to port those over to a new Android Tracfone.  I know the android phones have separate buckets for the text, data, and talk minutes.  If I add those 2000 minutes to my android phone will I get 2000 each of text, data, and talk?    Thanks for any help on this one!

Highlighted
Honored Contributor

Re: Tracfone minutes question

I had an old Tracfone with talking minutes and text minutes left on it when I updated to an android phone

All of my unused talking minutes transferred over to talking minutes.  All of my texts transferred over as texts.  I had no Internet time left to transfer.

My old minutes did not triple when I added them new phone.  They transferred over as is.  Only new purchased minutes will triple.

Honored Contributor

@WVopr - You certainly used to get whatever you had in minutes (on your existing phone) put into each of the three buckets.  At some point, I thought I read on these forums that you no longer did, but I can't imagine why they would've changed that.

I have the LG Premier and love the phone.  Right now HSN has a great deal on it ($89.95 with free shipping).  That's $40 less than I paid for mine on the Q.  It comes with 1350 minutes, text and data already loaded and one year of service.

Your existing minutes should transfer, along with your remaining days of service.  (They get added to the new phone.)

But be sure to check that it will work in your area, with their zip code checker.  One other thing:  adding minutes, texts and data (separately) now is really cheap, so I never run out.  Good luck!  I would never go back to a "non-smart" phone.

Honored Contributor

@WVopr wrote:

I have an old non-android Tracfone (LG306) that has 2000 minutes on it.  I'd like to port those over to a new Android Tracfone.  I know the android phones have separate buckets for the text, data, and talk minutes.  If I add those 2000 minutes to my android phone will I get 2000 each of text, data, and talk?    Thanks for any help on this one!

No, if you have never had texts or data, you only have minutes to transfer. 

hckynut(john)

hckynut(john)
Honored Contributor

@hckynut wrote:

@WVopr wrote:

No, if you have never had texts or data, you only have minutes to transfer. 

hckynut(john)

@hckynut - When they first came out with smartphones for Tracfone, they did indeed give you complimentary allocations of all three.  I've only ever had Tracfone (for my DH and myself) and when we got our first smartphones, they gave us the same amount in each bucket.  They made a point of saying that in all the presentations:  e.g. if you had 1500 minutes left, you would get 1500 minutes/1500 texts/1500 data.  And that's exactly how it worked.

Hope you're doing well!

Honored Contributor

When they upgraded to three buckets, they rolled over to what you had left into each bucket.  2000-2000-2000.  I can't remember hearing about that during the last couple TSVs.  You may have to call them and ask.

Honored Contributor

If you've got 2000 talk minutes now, that's what will transfer. 

New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment
Honored Contributor

Just a little info that might help someone.  I ordered a Tracfone from HSN that would work were I live, but not where I visit all summer long.

I need a Tracfone that uses Verizon.  If you want to use Verizon, Sprint or US Cellular, buy a CDMA Tracfone.

If you prefer AT&T or T Mobile, buy a GSM Tracfone.  

I no longer have to send my phone back because I don't like the service carrier.  I can now order the one I know will,work best for me. 

Esteemed Contributor

Hi @WVopr.

Used to be when you went from a single bucket phone to a triple bucket phone that also had triple minutes, your 2000 minutes would transfer as 2000-2000-2000. 

Posters seem to think that's no longer the case (??)

I checked the recently re-designed Tracfone website where I can no longer find anything quickly or easily, and unfortunately couldn't find any answers for you. 

If you end up doing an online chat, or calling their customer service,  just remember you 'port' a phone number, but you transfer unused minutes and airtime.

We all know what you meant. But experience has shown me those little things can be important when the person helping you has trouble with English and/or is reading from a script and working off 'key words' you say or type. 

Esteemed Contributor

@WVopr

By the way, if you have another phone available I always suggest taking a picture of the phone you're about to transfer (or add air or minutes/any big change), showing current date and time and the remaining minutes and airtime. 

Every now and then they 'lose' all your minutes or airtime in the process. Its rare...but exceptionally frustrating when they tell you they 'have no record' of the minutes and air time you insist you had.

This has happened to me due to an electronic hiccup in transmission that was not Trackfones fault.

Fortunately, I was able to tell my Tracfone cs person that I had a photographic record of that information, and would gladly share it with him if necessary to get my minutes and airtime back on my phone.