Trusted Contributor

Tracfone gurus - I have a weird text messaging issue

[ Edited ]

Greetings, Tracfone gurus!

I've recently developed a weird issue in my text messages.  When I look at the list of people I text with, my cousin has a blue dot in her profile picture and I don't get her text messages until I turn on my Wi-Fi connection (I keep it off when I'm not using it).  She told me on her end it says I'm offline (she does not have a Tracfone, but we both have Android).  I've tried clearing background programs and restarting the phone, but no luck. Anybody know how to fix this?

Edited to add:  My phone is a Samsung A02s.

*QVC Community member since 10/24/2006*
Trusted Contributor

Re: Tracfone gurus - I have a weird text messaging issue

@Stargazer77 I have a Samsung phone. This happened to me last year.

Open your messenger app and go to the settings.

Look for and then disable/turn off this - "Chat Feature - Use Wi-Fi or data for messaging when available"

Never had an issue again after I did that.

Contributor

[ Edited ]

Mezzie, thank you so much.  Have and had tracfones for many years Galaxy A20 & Galaxy A32.  Incase this ever happens to me you gave me the solution!

Trusted Contributor

@MezzieStarr Thanks for the tip!  I changed the settings and hopefully that did the trick!  The blue dot is gone from my cousin's profile picture.

Esteemed Contributor

@Stargazer77 wrote:

Greetings, Tracfone gurus!

I've recently developed a weird issue in my text messages.  When I look at the list of people I text with, my cousin has a blue dot in her profile picture and I don't get her text messages until I turn on my Wi-Fi connection (I keep it off when I'm not using it).  She told me on her end it says I'm offline (she does not have a Tracfone, but we both have Android).  I've tried clearing background programs and restarting the phone, but no luck. Anybody know how to fix this?

Edited to add:  My phone is a Samsung A02s.

@Stargazer77 

I have that same Samsung phone, but! I have never sent or received a text on it. So!!! Don't have a clue about anything you said, but.

I am just curious. Why do you turn your WiFi OFF? Now I am familiar with Modems and Routers, in homes, when it comes to WiFi. Depending on your Internet Provider, some are set so others in your area can use your WiFi, unless you change your setting.

But with a cell phone's WiFi! What exactly are you preventing by turning it to the OFF position? Most places a person goes nowadays has free WiFi, thus it is not using up your amount of WiFi.

Answer if you wish, just curious,

hckynut 🇺🇸

hckynut(john)
Trusted Contributor

@hckynutjohn Hey John, my phone is next to me when I sleep and I just don't want the WiFi on.

I've noticed your font has gotten bigger over time.  You're doing okay?  Are you still involved in hockey?  Nice seeing you.  Smiley Happy

Respected Contributor

Leaving WiFi or Bluetooth on when not needed drains on the battery.

Trusted Contributor

@Etoile308 wrote:

Leaving WiFi or Bluetooth on when not needed drains on the battery.

That, too.  Smiley Wink 

Esteemed Contributor

@Stargazer77 wrote:

@hckynutjohn Hey John, my phone is next to me when I sleep and I just don't want the WiFi on.

@Stargazer77 

Still don't get the WiFi off, but!! Like my wife, I think she sleeps with her phone in her hand.

I've noticed your font has gotten bigger over time.  You're doing okay? 

Same size font I have been using for quite awhile now.

Well, I was ice skating 3 times a week for about the last 5 years, but!! Started having some problems so decided to have my Cardiologist check out my heart function(had 2 heart attacks(2003 & 2007). Diagnosed with Congestive Heart Failure (CHF), so seeing if I can work my way out of this diagnosis again like I did in 2007. Haven't ice skated since end of June.

Are you still involved in hockey?  Nice seeing

you.  

No. Ran my Adult League I started in 1963 for 52+ years. Figured that was long enough.

Good seeing you too and hope you are doing well!

hckynut 🇺🇸

hckynut(john)