Respected Contributor

Re: Tracfone changed how to add minutes???

I found out about the takeover here too. Search: support tracfone.com & you'll see Verizon Acquisition, it has lots of info in each category about changes...hope that helps @leigh. Started using Tracfone in 2009 with a simple 3g flip & this is the first time I've had problems.

Respected Contributor

I tried to access the other day and had trouble. I  just figured I typed something in wrong. After the second try, it was okay.

Super Contributor

Tracfone was taken over by Verizon.  I loved my old phone.  Thanks to G5 it had to be changed and I totally hate that new piece of garbage.  A lot of times I can't answer a call.  It's totally Google based which I hate.  I only use my phone to make calls and hate all this stuff coming up.  I don't need news on my phone and despite turning it all off it still loads.  After my minutes run out I will look for another alternative.

Super Contributor

@leigh wrote:

What the heck did they do?

My bookmark stopped working recently (404) but I was able to circuitously navigate to the page with all the options. Today I can't even find that page and when I find what seems to be where I can add minutes it says the phone number isn't valid and won't let me go further to purchase a minutes card. Another page that seemed viable gives me "alert - resource not found" when I put in my phone number. I get the same errors with my phone number that still has calling minutes. Neither is expired, etc.

Are we all supposed to have a service plan now? Or an account?

I just wanted to add the 500 mins for $10 with no service extension. I've been doing this for years with no problem and now am totally stumped.

I wound up calling CS and was able to do it over the phone but that shouldn't be necessary. As for the invalid number error she gave me some BS about servers, blah blah blah excuse. Obviously just a non answer answer they're instructed to give when they don't have an answer.

I know a lot of people on here have TF so I'm hoping someone has figured it out. Or maybe this will be a heads up for others.

Any help is appreciated!

Since Verison owns Tracfone now I bet very soon Verison rules will apply.  So sad.

Super Contributor

@Mombo1 wrote:

@leigh    My phone has been acting up also for about a week.  I wanted to check my minutes/text balance but could not pull it up.  Eventually I just texted 611611 to add my $15.00 card.  It worked and I was able to see my balance.  Since then I still have to restart my phone to see my balances.  Must be a glitch it the system.  Glad I read these posts.  Apparently other tracfone owners are having problems too.  I also prefer to buy the refil cards rather than set up an account that requires a credit card.  

After having my old much loved Tracfone replaced by a newer version due to G5 I had to download the Tracfone App to be able to see my minutes.  I totally hate my new phone. 

Trusted Contributor

I had no idea Verizon had taken over.  I suspected something happened, though, when a few months ago I needed to add minutes to my LG Tracfone, and I couldn't find the Tracfone minutes cards anywhere!  Tracfone kept sending me text messages about purchasing one of their plans.  I finally did just because I was desperate.  Then I remembered I had a Tracfone that I purchased from QVC this past summer that I hadn't even opened yet.  I got it out and turned it on, but I absolutely hate it.  On the Q, they make everything look SO easy.  But I don't like that new phone at all.  I'm tempted to call Tracfone and ask them to re-activate my old LG!  

Valued Contributor

@Mombo1, I don't have a credit card linked to my account. I set up the account because way back then, you couldn't check your balance on the phones. I've had Tracfone for a LONG time. I buy my cards in the store to refill, except I have gone online to buy the $5 texts several times. But my card is not saved and used for my account unless I manually put it in to make a purchase. I just wanted you all to know that you don't have to have a credit card on file to have an account.

Honored Contributor

@leigh - There was another recent thread with someone having trouble adding texts.  I gave her this advice and it worked for her.  It's how I've always added anything to my phone.

--------------------

Try this:  go to their website, then click on "Shop".

Second column over:  "Plans & Service", click on "Plan Add-Ons".

That should show you a screen where you enter your phone number and then can click on the texts or other add-ons and add them to your cart for checkout.

Valued Contributor

[ Edited ]

Anyone know if the annual renewal (service days) is still available for the $50? I think last year I had to pay $65.  

Anyway I was not able to bring up the one year service days renewal like we used to.  (add a $5 addition, then in checkout page, add the $50 twelve month usage)

I couldn't make this work the other day. Anyone know if this is gone?

Contributor

@Venezia wrote:

@leigh - There was another recent thread with someone having trouble adding texts.  I gave her this advice and it worked for her.  It's how I've always added anything to my phone.

--------------------

Try this:  go to their website, then click on "Shop".

Second column over:  "Plans & Service", click on "Plan Add-Ons".

That should show you a screen where you enter your phone number and then can click on the texts or other add-ons and add them to your cart for checkout.

Thank you. That's what I was doing but it wouldn't accept the phone number to proceed. Still doing the same today. Depending on how I approach it I get a couple of different errors so I don't even get it in the cart.

My husband broke two phones in a year so his expiration date was three years away and I was easily adding 500 mins for $10 since then.