Honored Contributor

Re: Tracfone Website and Service is Useless

[ Edited ]

With me I hve no problem with the website and I even added data, BUT I can't get the APP to work, I tried everything and from what i heard talking to their CS is useless!!!!  Never had any problem until Verizon took over...😫

Animals are reliable, full of love, true in their affections, grateful. Difficult standards for people to live up to.”
Esteemed Contributor

"...my phone is being outdated as obsolete" @LisaMofSLC 

This sounds like you're using a 3G phone. If that's the case then, yes, your phone is becoming outdated and quickly! Some carriers have already shut down like AT&T and Spint. I think T-Mobile pushed it to July and Verizon until December but if you're using a 3G phone you need to be looking at replacing it asap. 

Here's a quote from the LA Times ~

"Bear in mind that a 3G device with Wi-Fi can still run its apps and do just about everything you need it to do — but only if you're within reach of an open Wi-Fi network and you don't mind making phone calls through a voice-over-internet-protocol service such as Skype.Feb 2, 2022"

Once all the carriers have shut down their 3G networks that will no longer be the case. If your phone doesn't say 4G LTE or 5G it will no longer work after the shutdown which has already happened for some carriers. 

Tracfone, including after the Verizon buyout last year, has not increased in price and I use my Tracfone regularly when away from home using data with no problem. I listen to my YouTube music app, connect to Netflix etc., and access the web.

It sounds to me that what you have is an old phone problem...not a Tracfone problem. If I got it wrong, I apologize but your comment "my phone is being outdated as obsolete" means it must be 3G.

Hope you have better luck in the future. There are a lot of people here, far more knowledgeable than me, that help others on a regular basis so please feel free to reach out if you have questions. Smiley Happy

Regular Contributor

An update on my Samsung Tracfone phone with no Mobile Data service

It was a lost cause.  Rather than try to reactivate an older phone, I purchased a Nokia phone from HSN.  With a coupon, it was under $70.  My Mobile Data works like a charm.  Also, transferring my old number, I  have service until 6/24! Can't beat the price and a bonus is, I really like the Nokia phone.

Thank you all for your comments and suggestions.

Honored Contributor

I never had one.  I don't get the appeal for them.  I just buy my phone unlocked and shop around for a carrier. Been doing that since I got my first smart phone in 2014.

Respected Contributor

@songbird wrote:

I never had one.  I don't get the appeal for them.  I just buy my phone unlocked and shop around for a carrier. Been doing that since I got my first smart phone in 2014.

The appeal?  The cost!  If you buy one of their better phones with the 1500 package, the cost breaks down to anywhere from $8 (or less if on sale) per month to around $15 per month.  For someone who doesn't text or call much, it is ideal.  Obviously, if a person texts/calls a lot or wants unlimited data, there are better choices out there.  I have a friend who recently switched to Cricket, because with her kids and her mom added to her plan, they can get unlimited everything for around $30 a month per line with taxes. For me?  I like the $8 to $15 price per month better, and it works very well for me.

Honored Contributor

Yeah, the Tracfone pricing is impossible to beat for anyone on a tight budget. My Motorola G Stylus with a year's service at $99.96 comes out to $8.67 a month. They're good phones. If you buy just the phone at full retail, it's a $249.99 phone.

Depending on how things go over the next month or two I may have to go with a phone with unlimited data and the best plan I can find for a single line is around $50 a month. The $30 a month plans typically require you to have four lines so you're paying $120 a month but get four lines. Total Wireless (A Tracfone sister company) has the 5G version of the Motorola Stylus for $129+ on e-Bay and that would probably be my phone choice then their $47.50 autopay monthly price for unlimited everything. In about a month and a half, I'd pay what I paid for a year of Tracfone but have unlimited data and could cancel my home Internet.

Fly!!! Eagles!!! Fly!!!
Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

@songbird wrote:

LOL That's exactly what I've been doing since I got my first phone, a Nokia, in 2003--with Tracfone service.

Tracfone is a service, not a phone. I haven't noticed too many on this thread, but when I check reviews for the phone bundles on QVC/HSN, the vast majority of low reviews are from those who somehow thought "a Tracfone" was different from other smart phones: It's too complicated; it's going back....The presenter made it look so easy...etc. The phones sold with these bundles can have as many bells and whistles as the ones which can be purchased elsewhere. They're like mini-computers, and some consumers apparently aren't aware of that.

I've never had to contact CS, so I can't speak to that other than to say I'm glad; that's been a long-time issue. However, I'm happy to say that their app works as well as it always did, and updates are prompt and correct. I never use their website, and use the app to purchase texts when needed.

In my experience, the bundles--and phones I've chosen--have been great, and the value if only for the year's service can't be beat. But be aware that the phones offered are the same sophisticated phones available elsewhere, with different services. 

What worries you masters you.
Esteemed Contributor

[ Edited ]

@gardenman I keep getting the text warning that my service will be cut off.  I called Tracfone asking when this would happen and they couldn't tell me.  My phone is LTE - isn't that the same as 4G?  I didn't think that 4G was effected by this changover.  Anyway they said my phone wasn't VOLTE tech compatible - whatever that means.

I am in the process of picking a new phone.  They couldn't tell me what the free phone they offer is.  I use a phone for calls when I am away from home, occasional texts, and taking pictures.  

I prefer ordering from HSN because it is quicker delivery.  Two models that keep popping up are Moto Stylus G and Samsung AO2.  

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

@susieQ_2

Fear not Brothers and Sisters! I have read THE BOOK..........we win!!!
Honored Contributor

@tends2dogs 

I love my Moto G Stylus. If you can get it on sale at $99 (which it is fairly often) it's pretty much unbeatable. Volte is the newest network standard that lets you do multiple things at once, like use GPS and talk on the phone.

Fly!!! Eagles!!! Fly!!!
Esteemed Contributor

Thanks for getting back with me with the info, @gardenman .  The one I am considering is a TCL 4X 5G Smartphone here on QVC.  It has 5 out of 5, 5 Star reviews and they are within the last couple months.  Most of the offerings on HSN and QVC are reviewed as poor and the majority are 4G.  Would I be wrong to purchase 4G?

Are you familiar with this brand?  

Fear not Brothers and Sisters! I have read THE BOOK..........we win!!!