Super Contributor

Tracfone Ultimate 2 Start up Question

I have just recently set up a new but unused LG Ultimate 2 L41C. It's been sitting around while I gather courage to move from my "dumb phone" to a smartphone. 

When I turn the phone on it often will not boot, just stays on the LG screen. I did search this problem and found that often removing and reinstalling the battery would work. And it does.. most of the time.

I want this phone to boot up all of the time. Anyone know what the problem is? Is the old battery the problem? What else could it be? 

Thank you for your help.

Respected Contributor

Re: Tracfone Ultimate 2 Start up Question

@WildDunes

This is just my opinion, by I wouldn't own a Tracfone. We had so many problems with it that we gave it up. We decided to go with US Cellular and their phones. I am just sayin. Good Luck

Respected Contributor

I have a TracFone & love it, works well & fits my budget. Try a new battery.

Honored Contributor

@WildDunes- Not sure what you mean by it just stays on the LG screen.  Can you capture a screenshot?  Have you actually activated the phone already?

My DH and I have had nothing but Tracfones for the past 17 years and we love them.  Our previous phones were the LG Ultimate II and I still use mine as a backup.  I haven't had any problem with it at all, but I didn't let it sit unused for long periods of time.  I do know lithium batteries can be temperamental, especially if they're not charged reasonably regularly.

Can you give us a bit more information to go on?

Honored Contributor

Both DH and I have owned Tracfones for 3 yrs. They work well for us and fits our budget. As long as we own our particular phones our minutes triple. For now we're happy campers.

Esteemed Contributor

[ Edited ]

Hello @WildDunes.
Thanks for the info.  But gotta ask...why are you frequently powering completely off, and then rebooting ? -or am I misreading your question?

Most people power off only occasionally. I was advised to power off & reboot once a week, but I gotta admit it's more like once every 8 weeks for me. 

Check the strength of your cell signal when you're trying to reboot. What you're describing sounds like wgen trying to reboot a phone while you're in an area with a weak cell signal. 

Super Contributor

Venezia, Hedge and all others, thanks for the replies. I know several people who use Tracfones and they are all very pleased with the service and their various phones.  A smartphone is new for me. I don't know all the correct terminology, so please forgive me for sounding so dumb.  I can try a new battery but I would like to eliminate any unneeded costs if possible, so thought I'd try here on the Q Forum to see if others know if there perhaps is just some issue with this phone, if it is the battery, or whatever. 

Venezia - Sorry, no screen shot. When the phone is turned on, the 1st screen is the LG logo screen and then it moves on to the A service of Tracfone Wireless screen.  Then it moves on to the {I think} lock screen that you swipe to get into the phone. 

Hedge - 1. Not all users are the same. I don't use a phone much. Also there have been some other things going on that made learning the phone move to the back burner. But the plan is to move on this phone from my "dumb" phone {which I really like, by the way].  2. Definitely the plan is to leave it on when I am actually using it, otherwise I'm defeating the purpose of having this phone.

To anyone else out there who might have some good suggestions or knowledge of this problem, I would appreciate your input.

Again, thanks to all the great people on the Forum.

Honored Contributor

@WildDunes wrote:

Venezia - Sorry, no screen shot. When the phone is turned on, the 1st screen is the LG logo screen and then it moves on to the A service of Tracfone Wireless screen.  Then it moves on to the {I think} lock screen that you swipe to get into the phone. 

To anyone else out there who might have some good suggestions or knowledge of this problem, I would appreciate your input.

@WildDunes- From what you've just posted back to me, I'd say your smartphone is doing exactly what it should.  I just powered mine off and back on to check.  The lock screen comes up until you either enter a PIN or knock code, etc. to unlock it.  It's a security feature so not just anyone can get into your phone.

Are you saying that once it reaches the lock screen you can't get past that?

Esteemed Contributor

I agree with @Venezia, what you've described is the normal sequence after powering on/ rebooting the phone.

I haven't enabled, and don't use the security/pin feature of the lock screen. I simply swipe left to right across my lock screen and it disappears, revealing my home screen.

Perhaps you are unaware @WildDunes, that if you press & release the right button quickly, the screen goes dark, the phone goes on standby mode, but is still connected to the TracFone system. You can "wake up" your phone with one quick push of the home button (or right button).

Mine is set to "go to sleep" all by itself after two minutes of inactivity, unless I quickly push the right button to make it go to sleep before that.
This is normally done to reduce drain on the battery when one is not using the phone.

However, if you press and hold that same right button for a couple of seconds before you release it, you 'power off', shutting it down completely, and disconnecting the phone from the TracFone system. Starting up again from this point, or "rebooting" requires that you press and hold that button for another two seconds or so before you release, then the phone goes through the sequence that you described.

This takes me back to my original post and my original question of why you are powering off/rebooting all the time since its not necessary. Simply let your phone 'sleep' on standby between uses.

Or, as asked above, are you somehow stuck on the lock screen, and unable to get to your home screen?

Highlighted
Super Contributor

@Venezia wrote:

@WildDunes wrote:

@WildDunes- From what you've just posted back to me, I'd say your smartphone is doing exactly what it should.  I just powered mine off and back on to check.  The lock screen comes up until you either enter a PIN or knock code, etc. to unlock it.  It's a security feature so not just anyone can get into your phone.

Are you saying that once it reaches the lock screen you can't get past that?

No, the problem is that I can't get to the lock screen. When working as it should: first is the LG screen, then the Tracfone screen, then the lock screen. With the problem that's happening, I can't get past the LG screen unless I reset the battery.