Contributor

Re: Tracfone Galaxy Grand Prime TSV

[ Edited ]

This looked like a great phone til I got to the internal storage part.  8GB is not a lot of storage when half of it is already used by system and built in apps.  You would have to have an sd card to store data and installed apps.  I had this problem with the Alcatel Pop Icon and was constantly cleaning out data, cache, etc. in order to have enough storage to work with.  I finally got the E5 from hsn with 16GB storage and it makes all the difference in the world. This phone would be an excellent choice for someone who doesn't load a lot of apps or take a lot of pictures.

Esteemed Contributor

@Irishpat1944 wrote:

This looked like a great phone til I got to the internal storage part.  8GB is not a lot of storage when half of it is already used by system and built in apps.  You would have to have an sd card to store data and installed apps.  I had this problem with the Alcatel Pop Icon and was constantly cleaning out data, cache, etc. in order to have enough storage to work with.  I finally got the E5 from hsn with 16GB storage and it makes all the difference in the world. This phone would be an excellent choice for someone who doesn't load a lot of apps or take a lot of pictures.

Most folks do not know anything about data storage. I use an app Clean Master  to keep the trash out of my Android devices.

Super Contributor

@Irishpat1944  You can us a Micro SD card. It goes in under the battery. Most lower end phones can use up to a 64g. Granted some things can't be put on a card, but it will give you room for most apps. 

Respected Contributor

8gb is not enough.

Also note: this is running Lollipop. Android's latest is Marshmallow. Should Tracfone roll out the update, you will not have enough internal memory, since you really only get 4GB that you can use.

You will really need that SD card. 

Esteemed Contributor

@JavaQueen wrote:

8gb is not enough.

Also note: this is running Lollipop. Android's latest is Marshmallow. Should Tracfone roll out the update, you will not have enough internal memory, since you really only get 4GB that you can use.

You will really need that SD card. 

Please forgive me. LOL Tracfone does not update anything.  These phones are nice, but the phones do not get security updates. 

Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

I was talking about the upgrade of the OS. Marshamallow is the most current version of Android. 

Of course, I don't use Tracfone. Most other carriers offer updates of OS--even prepaid. I used Tracfone a long time ago. You bought a card and added minutes and I didn't know about operating systems.

LOL.

Anyway, the software (operating system) is old. (Lollipop.) 

Contributor

[ Edited ]

Hoping someone can answer a question for me. I have the Samsung GGP phone that I got last June. I really love my phone, but 2 days ago, my battery was not holding a charge. It can say 100% in the morning, and by late afternoon it is almost dead, and I am not using the phone. I don't carry it around with me, it mostly stays on the counter. Has anyone else had that problem? If it needs a new battery, where do I get it? From Tracfone?

Esteemed Contributor

@ptbaker, go to settings, tap battery, make sure power savings is ON. (I don't use Ultra power savings) and review just where your battery service is going.
Adjust settings in individual apps to save power.

Also, do not short-cycle charge. Wait until the phone notifies you power is low (15%), and then fully charge without interruption to 100% . I usually wait till my Grand Prime gets down to 5-3% before charging.
Repeated short-cycle charging "teaches" the battery not to take or hold a full charge.
Esteemed Contributor

@ptbaker, no, don't buy a replacement battery from TracFone.
1. Frustrating shipping process
2. Won't be your lowest priced choice
3. Nightmare returns if they send the wrong one

If you decide to buy a battery, take your phone to brick & morter, someplace where they can match yours and send you out the door with the right battery.
Contributor

Hedge, thank you so much for your help. I am not familiar at all with smartphones. How do I adjust settings in individual apps to save power? Also, I keep seeing banners that say, this and that app has been updated. Is that really necessary for all these apps to update. I have not downloaded any apps for my phone at all. Thank you for helping me on this!!!