Super Contributor

Trac Fone not holding charge long

My husband purchased a TracFone at Walmart. He RARELY uses his phone unless he is out and needs to get in touch. We charge it when it gets low, for instance, I charged it yesterday afternoon, and by this morning, battery is half. He did not use it at all. It is a flip phone, if that makes a difference, and his previous flip did the same thing. What are we doing wrong!!??   Smiley Happy

Honored Contributor

Re: Trac Fone not holding charge long

I have a TracFone flip phone (Alcatel). I never use it but I have it for emergencies. What I did to extend the battery is turn off notifications and put in airplane mode. I never have to recharge my phone for at least 6 months or so when the battery says it only about 80% full. @nanny24 

Honored Contributor

@nanny24 

I also turned off:

Wi-Fi

Bluetooth

Geolocation

Just be sure and turn off the airplane mode if you want to make or receive calls.

Honored Contributor

I purchased a new Tracfone for my DH last February.  In April, it would not work.  Tracfone sent me another one...different model under their warranty.

In June, his battery was being depleted rather quickly.  It was 100% when he went to bed.  by morning, it was only 20%.

I gave him the battery from my older phone.  I was hardly used because I only turn my phone on to make an outgoing call, then turn it off. Everything was good.

Now, the phone battery is doing the same thing again...he also says his phone feels warm in his pocket.

I am concerned about exploding batteries  and I am going to switch him back to an older phone we still have.  

Something isn't right with Tracfone anymore.

Esteemed Contributor

@Carmie

You may want to do a Google search for a problem with the battery.

When I am looking for a phone, I, check a few sites Phonearena.com , and GSM arena. com. These two sites have spec lists and comparisons. Verizon sells a few flip phones and has customer reviews.

You may want to check YouTube. 

Honored Contributor

@Nuttmeg  Thanks, I'll take a look.

BTW, he does not have a flip phone.  It is a Moto 4G Android.

Super Contributor

You can check to see if you battery is still good by doing this:  ( I know it sounds wacky, but it works.)  Take your battery out.  Lay it on the counter, flat surface and see if it will spin.  If it does, your battery is going bad.  It really does work. Give it a try.

Honored Contributor

@nanny24 wrote:

My husband purchased a TracFone at Walmart. He RARELY uses his phone unless he is out and needs to get in touch. We charge it when it gets low, for instance, I charged it yesterday afternoon, and by this morning, battery is half. He did not use it at all. It is a flip phone, if that makes a difference, and his previous flip did the same thing. What are we doing wrong!!??   Smiley Happy

@nanny24 

What manufacturer and model of cell phone....TracFone offers quite a few...

Animals are reliable, full of love, true in their affections, grateful. Difficult standards for people to live up to.”
Trusted Contributor

@Carmie wrote:

BTW, he does not have a flip phone.  It is a Moto 4G Android.

@Carmie, do you mean a Moto G4? I found this in the manual.

moto g4 batt.JPG

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

Flip phone batteries do not cost that much. You can just replace it and be done with it.

Shop around for one. I can buy a battery for my Alcatel flip phone for $5 to $10, depending on where I go.