Esteemed Contributor

Took the Plunge...my first MacBook Pro

I am pretty much laid up for the next four weeks with a broken foot.  I have a cast on and am using crutches so I will be pretty much house bound.  A good time to break in a new laptop.

I bought a MacBook Pro.  The new version with the tool bar had much more tech and power than my needs called for.   8GB, 128.  I have been playing around with it this afternoon and I like it so far.  I use it for books, music, browsing, the odd spreadsheet and documents.  This laptop has USB Ports an an SSD card so no need for dongles.

I am patiently waiting for the new ipad in the Spring.  Then I will be finished buying electronics for awhile.

Good bye to windows.  Not sorry to sign off there...  LM

Honored Contributor

Re: Took the Plunge...my first MacBook Pro

I love the latest and greatest and thought about getting myself a new computer.  I just wonder if they are really worth the extra money they seem to cost?

Respected Contributor

@Lilysmom

So sorry to hear you were hurt....hopefully all your gardening  chores were done before ( pardon my bad pun ) the Fall.

Too, hopefully you have folks who can run errands for you during this busy holiday season.  Life always has little surprises for us around the corners.

May your next surprises be pleasant and enjoyable ones !!!!

We make a living by what we get. We make a life by what we give.
Sir Winston Churchill
Respected Contributor

@Annabellethecat66 wrote:

I love the latest and greatest and thought about getting myself a new computer.  I just wonder if they are really worth the extra money they seem to cost?

@Annabellethecat66  ~ Just gotta tell Ya, once you go Mac, you will never go back!

Honored Contributor

@Annabellethecat66

YUP they are!

Apple makes ALL of their hardware, software as well as have their very own stores.  The Apple stores also sell 3rd party products, hardware & software.  Matter of fact, you can install Windows too till you get use to Apple's OS.

And the best thing is that ALL of their customer support folks are in to USofA = Texas & California.  I think a few are set up in NY.

Mac tips for Windows switchers

"Never argue with a fool. Onlookers may not be able to tell the difference."

220-AuCC-US-CRM-Header-Update.gif

Respected Contributor

Sorry to hear about your foot.  I hope you're not in too much discomfort and that your foot will heal quickly.  I'm sure you're new 

MacPro will keep you quite occupied and give you many hours of enjoyment.  I remember my mom always getting me a surprise or making some great baked treat when I was sick.  Boy, those were the days.🍰🍪🍦🍬

Honored Contributor

Wow,  what a bummer @lILY'smom.   At least it happened in the off-season for your gardening.   Guess you won't be ice skating on your lake this winter.   Hope you have a speedy and uneventful recovery. 

New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment
Frequent Contributor

I just took the plunge recently also. I did have a hard time transferring my documents, music, and photos from my old Windows laptop. I should have paid to have it done at the Genius Bar.  But eventually I brought my 2 laptops in and they straightened it all out for me for free.  I love all the Apple devises. So user friendly and the main thing for me is never having to worry about viruses!!!  For my birthday I'm going to get myself a new case for my iPad -- the kind that has a keyboard attached. 

Wishing you an easy recovery!

Esteemed Contributor

@Mz iMac wrote:

@Annabellethecat66

YUP they are!

Apple makes ALL of their hardware, software as well as have their very own stores.  The Apple stores also sell 3rd party products, hardware & software.  Matter of fact, you can install Windows too till you get use to Apple's OS.

And the best thing is that ALL of their customer support folks are in to USofA = Texas & California.  I think a few are set up in NY.

Mac tips for Windows switchers

The OP will not have the storage space on a 128GB SSD drive to install Windows. I have a Window 10 laptop with an 128GB SSD "boot drive", and a TB storage drive. The SSD has only 59GB of storage left after the install of Windows.

Esteemed Contributor

@jlkz wrote:

@Lilysmom

So sorry to hear you were hurt....hopefully all your gardening  chores were done before ( pardon my bad pun ) the Fall.

Too, hopefully you have folks who can run errands for you during this busy holiday season.  Life always has little surprises for us around the corners.

May your next surprises be pleasant and enjoyable ones !!!!

@jlkz, yes, the garden was pretty much put to bed for the winter by the time I got my cast.  This is a recurring injury so hopefully the cast and full rest for the duration will heal my foot.  Cast comes off on Dec 13th ... I'm counting the days but I think DH is counting even more than me!  Not used to sitting in the recliner all day.  I am trying to be a good patient.  

Thanks for your good wishes.  LM