Super Contributor

Re: This was my laugh for the day today

On 2/22/2015 ibb38 said:

Since when is 60's considered old?? !! {#emotions_dlg.laugh}

It is to a child.

Remember when you were little, and 40 sounded "old" to you?{#emotions_dlg.laugh}

Esteemed Contributor

I was referencing thread replies- rather than the OP's post.

Respected Contributor

On 2/22/2015 Plaid Pants said:
On 2/22/2015 GoodStuff said:

I am in my 60's and would have LOL'd at the child's perceptive question. I think a lot of older people do have a hard time with electronic gadgets......while using them seems to come very easily and naturally to the young. Who can blame the child for noticing and asking? And I don't see anything disrespectful about referring to the grandmother as "old people"! You have to be really sour and stiff to miss the humor in aging, or to think no one notices. The child didn't use some expletive or "insult" the grandmother. She simply asked why older people buy devices they don't seem to be able to learn to use. A good question, I'd say.

Agreed!

I don't think this child said anything close to "insulting".

So, children who ask questions are "spoiled" and "brats"?

Don't think so.

This child was merely asking a simple question.

To some here, she should be tarred and feathered for that.

How dare she ask a question!

No, this child is no "brat".

She is merely inquisitive.

She's petulant, not inquisitive.

Trusted Contributor

Oh my...this young lady needs to learn some manners. It's never too late to learn. IMO, there was nothing humorous about this teenager's statement.

Also, I don't like generalities.

Not all older people are "brain-dead", and are more than capable of learning electronics.

Not all young people are disrespectful to others.

Member Since 11/20/2008
Contributor

Well at least my friend who is the grandmother involved and I got a good laugh at it.

Valued Contributor

On 2/21/2015 Zhills said:

OMG...They're cloning Snowbirds!

Esteemed Contributor

On 2/22/2015 ibb38 said:

My kids aren't the most patient with this kind of thing - but they'd answer questions and not disrespect their grandparents.

Mine too. They would joke around a bit, but they never would be that rude. I wasn't brought up that way, and neither were they. It wouldn't cross their minds to say, "old people" or to be so disrespectful.

And no, she wasn't actually asking a question or being inquisitive. It was clearly a rhetorical question meant to show her frustration and annoyance. I have a great sense of humor, but didn't find this funny at all.

Super Contributor

If I had said that to ANY adult I'd still be in orbit

Trusted Contributor

On 2/22/2015 Rabid1 said:
On 2/22/2015 12andcounting said:
On 2/22/2015 Rabid1 said: I wonder if it's possible for QVC to sell a couple cans of "Lighten Up" and have a special TSV on "Humor Repair Therapy" cream. I guess hearing isn't the first thing to go after all, apparently the funny bone just falls right off at a certain point and is replaced with the judgemental knee-jerk joint.

I don't think anyone needs to "lighten up" or have "Humor Repair Therapy" when a teenager is this rude to her grandmother. This child needs a lesson in respect.

I appreciate you proving my point.

You find disrespect funny? Apparently you have a very strange sense of humor.

Esteemed Contributor

It depends how they are brought up. Some people think that is cute and sweet. I think it is horrible behavior. My teen daughters would never disrespect there grandparents. I wish I had my grandparent at that age. All four of mine died early in my lifetime.