Honored Contributor

Thinking about doing an Apple IPad trade-in for a new one.

[ Edited ]

I've got two iPad minis, one 4th generation eleven inch and one eleven inch pro.  I want to trade the 4th generation and my oldest mini.  I can't get updates on them anymore but other that they are in great condition.

Has anybody ever traded up like this?  I know they don't give much but I have too much clutter.

Also, how do you make sure your personal info is erased?

“You can’t wait until life isn’t hard anymore to be happy”. (By Nightbirde, singer of the song, It’s Ok)
Valued Contributor

Re: Thinking about doing an Apple IPad trade-in for a new one.

I have an old one that can't be charged anymore and I'm worried about what to do with it because I don't want to just throw it in the trash, if someone can get into it

Esteemed Contributor

I think you can restore it to factory settings.Go to settings- General-settings.Follow the prompts.

Trusted Contributor

How to wipe your iPhone before selling or trading it in
  1. Open up Settings.
  2. Scroll down and tap “General”
  3. Scroll down and select “Reset
  4. Tap “Erase All Content and Settings
  5. At this point, all the information on your iPad has been erased and you should see the iOS welcome screen like when you first purchased your iPadYou're good to hand your device to someone else, restore from a backup, or set up your iPad as new.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@eadu4 wrote:

How to wipe your iPhone before selling or trading it in
  1. Open up Settings.
  2. Scroll down and tap “General”
  3. Scroll down and select “Reset
  4. Tap “Erase All Content and Settings
  5. At this point, all the information on your iPad has been erased and you should see the iOS welcome screen like when you first purchased your iPadYou're good to hand your device to someone else, restore from a backup, or set up your iPad as new.

Sign out of your ICloud account and iTunes and App Store first.

Honored Contributor

I was planning on trading in my IPad.  I was offered $160 for it, which I think was fair.  I have a mini.

I was sent a return box and directions on how to clear my personal information off.  I then changed my mind.  I wanted to transfer all my pics and info to a new ipad, but it was too cumbersome and a pain and I was afraid some would get lost.

It is much easier to transfer info when you have the old and new iPad side by side.  I was afraid the Cloud would fail because I didn't do something right.

It doesn't cost anything to start the trade in process.  Once you are sent the return box and instructions to clear off your old IPad, you can decide if you are still interested.  They give you a certain amount of days to send the iPad back and after that the offer is no longer valid.

Esteemed Contributor

I don't think you will get any money back for something that old.  

So you can make sure they have been backed as you wish and then just load up on apps and games.  Make nice toys for kids in cars etc.  Then they can just die.  

Respected Contributor

I have traded up, but my mini would still accept updates.  It was, however, only a 16gb device and was 4 years old.  They offered me $90, and the process was as @Carmie described.  Before resetting my device, I made sure that I had backed up my old iPad to the cloud.  When I activated my new iPad, all my photos and settings transferred to the new one.  It was so easy!  

You can see if they'll give you anything for your old one by acting like you're going to buy a new one on their site.  Once you have it configured like you want, then you give the trade-in information, and you can see how much you'll get.  They offered me $90, and I think I got closer to $95, so they gave me a bit more than what they offered.  I was very pleased with the whole process!

Trusted Contributor

I traded in a 4th generation at Best Buy last year and think I got $100 for it which was amazing. It was in good working order but the iOS couldn't be upgraded. Just backed it up to the cloud and then downloaded from the cloud to the new ipad I bought there. It was easy and worked great.

Respected Contributor

@Mmsfoxxie wrote:

I've got two iPad minis, one 4th generation eleven inch and one eleven inch pro.  I want to trade the 4th generation and my oldest mini.  I can't get updates on them anymore but other that they are in great condition.

Has anybody ever traded up like this?  I know they don't give much but I have too much clutter.

Also, how do you make sure your personal info is erased?

We've traded up twice.  Once with Sprint and the last time with Verizon.  We traded at the times we did due to the promotion at the time.  Wouldn't recommend Sprint they were horrible (service wise...connecting, etc.).  With both Sprint and Verizon they had a llimit as to what generation phone can be traded up.  I know for sure when we did it, 4th generation was too old.  I think even 6th generation may be too old now.  You need to research it.  I know there are on line exclusive deals, but we didn't do that.  We prefer in person.  But again, we waited for a special promotion.  The insert new sim cards and erase old personal info for you.