Honored Contributor

Re: Thinking About Doing Business with Boost Mobile?

@Nuttmeg wrote:

@chickenbutt

I have followed the merger of Sprint and T-Mobile, and the roll-out of 5G service.

I learned T-Mobile customers should buy 5G phones ASAP. The company is moving its resources to being the best 5G carrier. What happens to 4G customers who have phones still under contract with this provider?

It is nice to know you left the foolish , and changed carriers. 

Xfinity and Spectrum Mobile both use Verizon's networks. Xfinity's by the G plan looks like a Verizon post-paid Plan. The only difference maybe the data Speed. 

Yes!  Smiley Happy  (bolded by me)  I learned this after the fact, from a friend on another board the other day.    I was actually glad, as Verizon was always my first choice when I started considering moving,but their prices were way too high.

I can't even tell you how profoundly glad I am to be rid of TMobile.  It was so awful.  The service to my phone fell a lot soon after the take over of Sprint in several ways.  Plus, calling them for help was just a bad joke.  I'm loyal until you burn me.  Then, I'm out.

Spectrum has always been pretty good here for cable, internet, and landline.  So far, so good with the cell phone service.   It's only been since Tuesday but not only does it seem better, they are very knowledgeable, kind, and helpful.  

Esteemed Contributor

@chickenbutt wrote:

I'm not familiar with them but it's good to know.

I was with Sprint for many years, after they acquired Nextel which I was also with for years, and now that TMobile has acquired Sprint it's gone downhill fast!

Just this week I got a letter from TMobile that  my phone, which is only like 3 years old and in perfect condition, will become obsolete at the end of the year and will no longer work at all.  I paid almost $600 for that phone and I didn't feel like I got all my money's worth yet, as I tend to take great care of my stuff and use it for as long as it is useful (I know, I'm a dinosaur) .  

Well, that was enough to get me to move.  I went to Spectrum (used to be Charter for decades), where I have my cable/landline/internet for decades.  Not only did I get a new model phone for less than half I paid for my last one but the monthly service is about 1/4 what I was paying at Sprint.

Moral of that story is that I would not recommend TMobile and they got the one-finger salute from me when I ditched them.  Smiley Very Happy    I hate it when one company takes over another and takes it straight down to the gutter.  I'm a pretty loyal person and as long as a company treats me well I treat them well. 

What I love now, as this is only my second smart phone, after having the old types for 20+ years, is that when you switch they can move every single thing to the new phone.   It took him a little while, but it was time well spent. I didn't have to do anything beyond just logging in to the email addresses again.  I suppose that's a good thing from a security POV.   But all the rest of the email info was already on there, along with most settings, pics & docs, contacts, etc.    Plus, I didn't want to lose the phone# I've had since 1994.

I believe all carriers are doing the same thing.  Mine is AT&T. I received a notice that my 3G service will be discontinued by 2/2022 and I will need to upgrade my phone.

Honored Contributor

@qbetzforreal wrote:

@chickenbutt wrote:

I was with Sprint for many years, after they acquired Nextel which I was also with for years, and now that TMobile has acquired Sprint it's gone downhill fast!

Just this week I got a letter from TMobile that  my phone, which is only like 3 years old and in perfect condition, will become obsolete at the end of the year and will no longer work at all.  I paid almost $600 for that phone and I didn't feel like I got all my money's worth yet, as I tend to take great care of my stuff and use it for as long as it is useful (I know, I'm a dinosaur) .  

Well, that was enough to get me to move.  I went to Spectrum (used to be Charter for decades), where I have my cable/landline/internet for decades.  Not only did I get a new model phone for less than half I paid for my last one but the monthly service is about 1/4 what I was paying at Sprint.

Moral of that story is that I would not recommend TMobile and they got the one-finger salute from me when I ditched them.  Smiley Very Happy    I hate it when one company takes over another and takes it straight down to the gutter.  I'm a pretty loyal person and as long as a company treats me well I treat them well. 

What I love now, as this is only my second smart phone, after having the old types for 20+ years, is that when you switch they can move every single thing to the new phone.   It took him a little while, but it was time well spent. I didn't have to do anything beyond just logging in to the email addresses again.  I suppose that's a good thing from a security POV.   But all the rest of the email info was already on there, along with most settings, pics & docs, contacts, etc.    Plus, I didn't want to lose the phone# I've had since 1994.

I believe all carriers are doing the same thing.  Mine is AT&T. I received a notice that my 3G service will be discontinued by 2/2022 and I will need to upgrade my phone.

Ah, I see.   It's unfortunate for those of us who cannot afford to keep buying new phones all the time. 

As to TMobile, that was just the last straw of many so I was glad to finally get the push to move on.  Smiley Happy

Esteemed Contributor

@qbetzforreal wrote:

@chickenbutt wrote:

@qbetzforreal AT&T is giving customers with 3G phones a replacement. They will provide a free iPhone 2020 SE for an Apple user, and an Android phone for a droid customer. The supplied phone has a poor battery. Please buy a Samsung A32. 

Super Contributor

[ Edited ]

I don't know about the hotspot you purchased, but I just want to defend Boost Mobile. I've had their prepaid phone plan for many years and have not had a complaint. Same service as the contract plans (and same providers) and for the 4 of us, the cost is $100/mo. for unlimited.

Esteemed Contributor

@Nuttmeg wrote:

@qbetzforreal wrote:

@chickenbutt wrote:

@qbetzforreal AT&T is giving customers with 3G phones a replacement. They will provide a free iPhone 2020 SE for an Apple user, and an Android phone for a droid customer. The supplied phone has a poor battery. Please buy a Samsung A32. 

@Nuttmeg  yes, I received notice about the new phone distribution as well.  I'm not pleased with ATT so I'll be looking to jump to one of their competitors.  Thank you for the recommendation.

Honored Contributor

Can't say as I blame you about ATT.    I haven't had them for cell service, but my husband used to and it was awful.  I had them for internet and landline for years and at some point it just went tragically bad.

Now I have Charter/Spectrum for everything and it's been great.

I just got a new phone and switched from Sprint/Tmobile two weeks ago and couldn't be more pleased with Spectrum also for cell svc.   I bought the new phone directly from Spectrum at a killer price.  I have the Samsung Galaxy A42 5G.   It's a fair amount like my Galaxy S7 except for small differences.

Also liking the new phone and loving how they transferred everything from the old one.  Even the calendar stuff.  That shocked me and I was really pleased because, as I had to do with my last repl (from stupid phone to smart phone) was write down all my calendar reminders so I could add them to the new phone but I totally forgot this time.  I have a lot of them because I don't remember much anymore.