Respected Contributor

Yesterday I got an email from Amazon introducing their "new " Kindle.....I have loved my Kindle, but it's got an age on it....it looked as if Amazon was throwing it by the wayside in favor of Alexandria and Echo.

They had great prices in December on Amazon and the Q: As I said, I have loved it and felt confident to buy a few as gifts-including one for me in case this one dies.

I was greatly embarrassed-name a problem-and my December purchases had them. My new Fire was a waste....

I decided to buy an IPad.

If these new releases are anything like the garbage they released in December, beware....but in all fairness, prove me wrong.

If anybody buys these, I would be interested to hear opinions....

Poodlepet2

Honored Contributor

Re: The "new"Kindle: a question

I can only say  Huhhhhh??  I can only say that Amazon has many new products and many upgrades but not all of them are tablets.  Echo isn't a tablet.  There's a new, improved Amazon Fire tv that I've been getting emails about....it's not a tablet either.  There is a new Fire tablet for $49 but I didn't even look at that because I'm happy with my the Kindle Fire I have now,  I upgraded from my very old one in Dec 2015.  I'm good for the time being.  You didn't say how your Kindle Fire disappointed you.  I've never had a problem of any kind with my Kindle tablets, it's why I bought them.  They are incredibly user friendly....and I need that.  Hubby is faithful to his Ipad, well I everythings...lol  But I'm more cost consious than he is.  Almost everyone I know uses the Amazon tablets and honestly, no one has ever talked about a problem.  Amazon cs is absoluely amazing.  We bought one for our 90 year old friend, well he was 86 when he started on his Kindle Fire.  My girls taught him how to use it and he was off and running.  It's kept him young, connected and entertained.  However, since you Amazon tablets weren't a fit for you and you have your Ipad....why do you care about their new products and upgrades??

Respected Contributor

@Poodlepet2  What is your question?  (Title of thread)

I love all my Kindle Fires and Paperwhite.  My newest and favorite Kindle Fire is my 8" HD, which was purchased in September 2016.  Perfect size and is very fast and snappy.  I have had very few problems and those problems were resolved by calling Amazon's customer service.

I'm not sure if you are asking about Kindle Fires or the Echo/Alexa.  I have both the Echo and the Dot.  Those are awesome too! 

My next purchase will be the Echo Show.

Again, what is your question?

Honored Contributor

@mima wrote:

@Poodlepet2  What is your question?  (Title of thread)

I love all my Kindle Fires and Paperwhite.  My newest and favorite Kindle Fire is my 8" HD, which was purchased in September 2016.  Perfect size and is very fast and snappy.  I have had very few problems and those problems were resolved by calling Amazon's customer service.

I'm not sure if you are asking about Kindle Fires or the Echo/Alexa.  I have both the Echo and the Dot.  Those are awesome too! 

My next purchase will be the Echo Show.

Again, what is your question?

Me too!   There's an Echo Show with my name on it....

Honored Contributor

@chrystaltree wrote:

I can only say  Huhhhhh??  I can only say that Amazon has many new products and many upgrades but not all of them are tablets.  Echo isn't a tablet.  There's a new, improved Amazon Fire tv that I've been getting emails about....it's not a tablet either.  There is a new Fire tablet for $49 but I didn't even look at that because I'm happy with my the Kindle Fire I have now,  I upgraded from my very old one in Dec 2015.  I'm good for the time being.  You didn't say how your Kindle Fire disappointed you.  I've never had a problem of any kind with my Kindle tablets, it's why I bought them.  They are incredibly user friendly....and I need that.  Hubby is faithful to his Ipad, well I everythings...lol  But I'm more cost consious than he is.  Almost everyone I know uses the Amazon tablets and honestly, no one has ever talked about a problem.  Amazon cs is absoluely amazing.  We bought one for our 90 year old friend, well he was 86 when he started on his Kindle Fire.  My girls taught him how to use it and he was off and running.  It's kept him young, connected and entertained.  However, since you Amazon tablets weren't a fit for you and you have your Ipad....why do you care about their new products and upgrades??

Fantastic.  Woman Happy

Honored Contributor

I haven't seen anything about a new kindle. Are you referring to the kindle for kids bundle? There is a new Fire tablet but it's not a kindle. Amazon finally got smart and dropped the word kindle for their tablets so it's back to being used just for the ereaders. 

Don't Change Your Authenticity for Approval
Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

good ereader dot com has an article. if you refering to the fire tablets  It  is  the same but thinner, better screen resolution, better wifi connectivity for the 7 inch. The 8 inch is the same as last year but will  be in the new colors. No changes on the 8"  there are a few articles online about it

Respected Contributor

Ok-guess I wasn't clear.

Kindle s are easy to use-that's why I love them.

In December, Amazon released new inexpensive versions that had all the features of the older ones plus new features-such as Alexa.

I bought some as gifts, and one for myself. The screens are supposed to be responsive to touch-you can tap one area for an action, and the cursor moves somewhere else.

Everybody-including myself-had WiFi connection problems....the new ones have a big time problem with reception.

The last time I looked at Kindle offerings on Amazon was back in Jan/Feb: they were all refurbished.

I had to call tech support for something, and the tech told me Kindle products were going by the wayside in favor of Echo etc.....

....and then I got the e-mail about the "new" versions being released....and I saw the prices-1/4 of the price I paid for my HD Fire.

Is this more of the "junk" sold in December, or are these really full functioning devices as they once were.

There are so many tablets out there, and Kindle was so easy to navigate and use....but the quality went down the tubes-IMO. 

My question is, if anybody buys these new releases at those fabulous prices, are these full functioning devices, or are they cheap garbage capitalizing on an old reputation?

Lots of graduations coming up-but I am in no rush to repeat December purchases....

Poodlepet2

Respected Contributor

All I know is that I bought the 8" in December 2016 and it works great.  I've had no problems at all.  I do think the 8" might be a little better version that those $49 ones.  If you weren't happy with the ones you got, I wouldn't buy more.  That's my motto.

Honored Contributor

ok so this thread is about Fire tablets not kindle ereaders then. 

Don't Change Your Authenticity for Approval