Esteemed Contributor

Re: Tale of the Canon Printer

DH just brought in the working printer!! Wow! (Anyway, I need it for the scanner!)

@CAcableGirl2  I bet he could fix yours, too! Something about the little gray wheels inside.

Respected Contributor

@Imaoldhippie wrote:

I would like to suggest to anyone interested in printers check HP.  I love my pc & printer, both HP's.

I agree. My Canon printer stopped working last month, it was 12 years old. I bought a HP and so far it's great.  My pc is also HP. 
Plus, the ink is cheaper. 

Honored Contributor

@CAcableGirl2   My current Epson sat in its SEALED box for a year before I able to use it.  The old Epson was dying for that long till it finally conked out.

The current Epson is nearing its 10th year.  I've been researching for about a year those Epson EcoTank printers.

"Never argue with a fool. Onlookers may not be able to tell the difference."

220-AuCC-US-CRM-Header-Update.gif

Esteemed Contributor

@Harpa 

Wondering how Canon went about changing how your printer operates. Did you install a new update? I have had several, and still have, a Canon printer. I settled on Canon after trying several of the other major names, like Epson/HP/Lexmark.

I even bought one that used a different method of printing years ago that was not injet. Think at that time, it was some form of dye sublimation,

I don't, and have never connected our printers, to be used wirelessly. We have never and will ever have the need to use that process of printing. 

Our printer is hardwired via a USB Cable, and unless I am missing something, Canon has no way of altering the way it functions. No if I download an update or update the drivers, I cannot see how Canon can change how it operates.

hckynut 🇺🇸

hckynut(john)
Esteemed Contributor

@Icegoddess wrote:

Oh dear.  I have a Canon Pixma MX922.  It doesn't get used that often, but always seems to need one of the color cartridges replaced.  Otherwise, it's been a great printer.  Hope they haven't sent some sort of debilitating update to it.  

@Icegoddess 

I had the MX922 for several years. After I ceased operation of my Adult Hockey League, it got used much less. Like with about any ink jet printer, if not used for long periods of time, the ink tanks have a tendency to dry up or plug up.

I always made/make it a point to print a draft/black and white, and a photo color print. Never let it sit more than 10 days without doing this. It uses little ink, but can help prevent, issues I mentioned above.

hckynut 🇺🇸

hckynut(john)
Esteemed Contributor

@hckynutjohn 

They did release a "firmware update" that supposedly corrects the problem. However, it does not work, (as people have complained.)

One of the correction methods has to do w/ the wireless. I cannot understand a word they are saying in the 3 solutions they posted.

So, the problem did emanate from them! Who knows if there was any agenda behind it. Maybe just to get rid of these older models...?

But like I said, our Canon printer served us very well over the years! I'll now see how well this refurbished one will perform & last. But we'll still get the HP from my BIL.

Esteemed Contributor

@CAcableGirl2 wrote:

I've had my Canon printer for years.  It's had a paper feed problem for about 2 years.  I just listen to the sounds, and when it gets to a certain sound, I have to manually help push the paper just a little until the rollers grab it. 

I think one of the rollers is dirty and not grabbing the paper, so by pushing the sheet in, it helps it along.  I actually have a brand new EPSON printer sitting in the box next to my desk, but as long as I have ink left, I'm going to continue to use my Canon.  

I'm not sure how long printers should last, but I hate to get rid of it, while it's still works (with a little assistance).  

@CAcableGirl2 

My Canon printer has a Roller Clean option under Maintenance. Might check and see if yours has that option.

hckynut 🇺🇸

hckynut(john)