Esteemed Contributor

Luckily, I had already printed out the little book I had written for my granddaughter last week.

When DH went to use the printer yesterday, the printer acted mighty strange, making noises I had never heard before, turning off and on by its lonesome. After about 30 minutes of fussing, trying different things to no avail, I discovered an on-line message that others were experiencing the same thing w/ their Canon. Seems like Canon altered something on their end which affected all of our printers!

Instead of offereing the solution, they wanted you to call them (@ 19.99) so that they could tell you to buy a new printer!

DH just happened to have a Canon backup. He had brought it home because they were getting rid of it because it had a paper feed problem.

He swapped them out. Lo and behold, it wanted to go because it had not be subject to the company's software tampering. But sadly, it still had the paper feed problem.

There is little that DH cannot fix. He attempted to take out the good parts of my original printer to put into the paper-feed problem printer. Hours & hours later, he finally called it quits.

A new laser printer is on the horizon - a gift from DH's lawyer brother.

I think a solution may have been offered by a disgruntled Canon user, but now it's way too late!

So if you are having problems w/ your Canon.....maybe the company will rectify things on their end if we are a little patient....? Otherwise, it's bye-bye Canon!

Valued Contributor

Re: Tale of the Canon Printer

Yikes!  Thank you for this post.  I am just about to buy a printer and the one I was looking at was a Canon Pixma model.  I will check out Canon thoroughly before I buy one!

Honored Contributor

Does this problem affect all Canon printers or only certain models?  My mother has one.

Esteemed Contributor

I do not know @ValuSkr . Ours was a 490 series. It actually served us well for years & years!

Honored Contributor

@Harpa  "making noises "

When that happens w/ANY printer it's time for a new one period!

Sometimes a "firmware" update will "silence" the noise but it's rare.  Eventually, the "noise" will return.

"Never argue with a fool. Onlookers may not be able to tell the difference."

220-AuCC-US-CRM-Header-Update.gif

Valued Contributor

I was one who was always boasting about Canon printers for years.

I loved that their tech support was in Virginia..Until my last Canon printer last year..now you are routed to who knows where for tech support under warranty.

Love when I asked where they were located now? I was told in a secure location!

Guess before my next computer or printer.I should go back to school and take language lessons!

Honored Contributor

I would like to suggest to anyone interested in printers check HP.  I love my pc & printer, both HP's.

BE THE PERSON YOUR DOG THINKS YOU ARE! (unknown)
Esteemed Contributor

Apparently, DH has not given up trying to fix the paper feed problem printer! He had just given up yesterday! He's got another angle.

Got to admire his tenacity!

(I'll update if it works out!)

Honored Contributor

Oh dear.  I have a Canon Pixma MX922.  It doesn't get used that often, but always seems to need one of the color cartridges replaced.  Otherwise, it's been a great printer.  Hope they haven't sent some sort of debilitating update to it.  

Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

I've had my Canon printer for years.  It's had a paper feed problem for about 2 years.  I just listen to the sounds, and when it gets to a certain sound, I have to manually help push the paper just a little until the rollers grab it. 

I think one of the rollers is dirty and not grabbing the paper, so by pushing the sheet in, it helps it along.  I actually have a brand new EPSON printer sitting in the box next to my desk, but as long as I have ink left, I'm going to continue to use my Canon.  

I'm not sure how long printers should last, but I hate to get rid of it, while it's still works (with a little assistance).  

......You look like I need a drink.....