Honored Contributor

Re: Tablets --- do they do everything that regular computers or lap tops do?

I have a Fire Tablet and it does not have flash, so there are some games and things I can't do on it.

===================================
QVC Shopper - 1993

# IAMTEAMWEN
Honored Contributor

I like my tablets so well I've abandoned my computer and will never own another, preferring my tablets.  I've about worn out an iPad 2 and also have a Samsung S2 tablet, which I prefer over the iPad. 

You can play plenty of games on a tablet.  The only thing I can't do, and there may be a way of doing it that I don't know, is to write and print a business letter.  I haven't had occasion in the last few years to do it.  I just send emails.  

I can kick back in my recliner and using a holder device, hold the pad in the palm of my hand and play on the pad for hours.  Even with arthritis in my fingers, it's no problem. 

20161219_230337.png

New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment
Honored Contributor

@Kachina624   I have an app called Pages.  I can write documents and letters on my iPad with it.

Honored Contributor

@Carmie wrote:

@Kachina624   I have an app called Pages.  I can write documents and letters on my iPad with it.

@Carmie  Thanks, I'll check it out. 

New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment
Honored Contributor

@hckynut wrote:

@AngelPuppy1

There is no such thing as a dumb question.

My tablet to me is a fill-in for a computer. Doing things such as typing this and being able to do it anywhere. Very convenient for many things, but will never replace me owning a desktop computer.

I am not and never been an "i" person. Too expensive for my taste and offer nothing I cannot find with a much cheaper Windows Computer an Android Operating System or cell phone.

If you like the "i" things and don't mind the extra cost, stick with them.

hckynut(john)

@hckynut

Thanks!  I never would have purchased an Apple as I knew nothing about them and felt they were too much money also!  However, back when we were looking a friend highly recommended them and we followed his advice.  I have no regrets as it has been a really great machine.  I think I am inclined to feel the same way.  I will probably just stick with a desk top. 

"A day without sunshine is like, you know, night." - Steve Martin
Honored Contributor

Thanks, everyone!  Wow --- you are all so knowledgable about this type of thing!  I am pretty clueless and I admit it.  I think the tablets sound nice but I think I am inclined to stick with my basic desk top!!  

"A day without sunshine is like, you know, night." - Steve Martin
Esteemed Contributor

I still prefer  computers over IPads and tablets. They remind me of smart phones which I own also. I am not a  heavy IPad user or smart phone user so that could be the reason ...?

Trusted Contributor

I use my iPad for everything...I am not computer savvy either and just do email,internet,take pictures even have an app from my cable company so whatever channels I have on my regular tv I also can get on my iPad which then let's me watch something different than what my husband is watching on tv.  NOw that summer is here I go outside and can watch my Yankees on my iPad etc.   I never use my desktop Mack....my husband uses that.    I always say if something happens to my iPad I am out the door buying a new one in a flash.

Honored Contributor

I've never had an apple device - phone or tablet but my experience with tablets is that they are very much like having a large smartphone - without the phone capability. So much less like a computer and much more like a phone.

Honored Contributor

I purchased my IPad about 5 years ago. Haven't used a desktop since. I take it with me when I travel as I can buy time by the month if I choose.

Have no use for a smart phone, use an old flip one and buy minutes, no wasting money on a plan.