Honored Contributor

Re: Tablet advice needed please

My cheapo small mini computer died so DH bought me an ASUS tablet to replace it. I surf the web, play games , check e mail , get on FB , just about everything my laptop did - PLUS I now have a kindle app. so i can buy books very inexpensively, I can send and recieve texts because it is hooked up to my smartphone (LG840G) via bluetooth, i can skype, the camera is way better than our regular digital camera and I have photobucket app so I can share my pictures easily. I have no desire to go back to a windows based PC or laptop.
Occasional Contributor

On 2/16/2014 Naryn said:
On 2/16/2014 YoungSinema said:

I would avoid an iPad if I were you, unless your smartphone is an iPhone. Since you said you were "technology deficient" and said that you own a nook, I think you should go with an android tablet. That way, you don't have to learn the operating system on the iPad.

Thank you for the advice! My phone is an android and I am very happy with how it works, so I will definitely take your advice and check out an android tablet instead of the iPad. I hadn't even thought of having to learn a new operating system, so I'm very grateful you mentioned that.

No problem, Naryn. I hope you enjoy it! Let us know which one you get and how it works out for you.

Super Contributor

I have an iPad and a Kindle fire HD...have always had kindles for reading books. I never use my laptop anymore. I would stick with the iPad. There are many more thousands of apps to use. I have an android phone. There is no operating system to learn on the iPad! it has a typical windows setup , while the Kindle has a weird set up, a carousel. Much header to navigate, fewer apps.unless you are just going to read books and buy from Amazon. I use my I pad for everything I used the computer for, studying languages, piano lessons, shopping, paying bills, printing, emails, everything. I like the kindle a lot, but I have Amazon prime so can borrow books every month. Wish I had bought a mini iPad instead. I got the 7" kindle to have both! and I use it for carrying in my purse, but I much prefer the iPad.
Occasional Contributor

On 2/18/2014 Nikalette said: I have an iPad and a Kindle fire HD...have always had kindles for reading books. I never use my laptop anymore. I would stick with the iPad. There are many more thousands of apps to use. I have an android phone. There is no operating system to learn on the iPad! it has a typical windows setup , while the Kindle has a weird set up, a carousel. Much header to navigate, fewer apps.unless you are just going to read books and buy from Amazon. I use my I pad for everything I used the computer for, studying languages, piano lessons, shopping, paying bills, printing, emails, everything. I like the kindle a lot, but I have Amazon prime so can borrow books every month. Wish I had bought a mini iPad instead. I got the 7" kindle to have both! and I use it for carrying in my purse, but I much prefer the iPad.

The majority of the thousands of apps are just different types of apps that do the same thing as others. There are a few apps in the Apple store that are useful, but there are alternatives. There's also Android apps that don't exist in the Apple Store. And there is an operating system--it's called ios. It's not the same as windows, those are two completely different operating systems.

Contributor

I decided to stick with the Samsung since I'm so pleased with my Samsung smartphone, and the advice to stick with an operating system I was already familiar with helped in that decision. Since I'm not familiar with all the numbers and terms used with these type things, I decided to check it out in store and after telling the salesperson what I intended to use it for, he recommended the Galaxy over the Note and Pro (too much wasted on those for my use).

Thanks so much for the advice given.