Respected Contributor

Re: TV brand with best customer service?

@gardenman, what do you consider a “good” surge protector.

Honored Contributor

wrote:

I need a new tv and wow, things  have really changed since I last bought one.  Ratings are mixed on almost every model I research - both performance and response to problems.

I would like to buy a brand with a good customer service record.

@ Montana,

Samsung would not be #1 in TV sales for the last 10 years, if it were based only on their picture quality. Just as with new vehicles, many are return buyers because of Customer Service. Have had several TV sets from Samsung, and the 2 times I called their CS, they were answered in a short time, polite and very knowledgeable about their particular product and model.

I bought several Mitsubishi TV sets when they were big screen DLP technology. When they discontinued those models and went straight to Samsung and have never been disappointed in any of the 5 we have, and still own.

Put them on your list of those you are considering buying.

hckynut(john)

hckynut(john)
Respected Contributor

wrote:

@2blonde@, wrote:

Yes, my sister has a Sony in her kitchen (only about a 32" I think), but every time I go over there I comment to her on how clear the picture is on that thing, and it was pretty cheap.

@2blondeI need a smaller tv and this sounds good. Would you mind asking your sister for the model number?

@ Montana  Unfortunately she's already had it around 5 years, so that model wouldn't even exist anymore.

Laura loves cats!
Honored Contributor

@ Montana,

Many reviews that I have read about many different electronics that are negative, seem to be written by many where the problems stem more from their lack of how the product functions. Nothing wrong with not being an expert in electronics, but it is my feeling that many that complain do not read their Owners Manuals.

With multi-function TV sets they are a bit more of a challenge to understand their functions. Some buyers do not take the time to follow and understand some instructions. My Samsung 4k TV pretty much set itself up in most functions, and it has most of the available features they offer.

My view of many bad reviews that I have read.

hckynut(john)

hckynut(john)
Esteemed Contributor

SONY

Honored Contributor

wrote:

@gardenman, what do you consider a “good” surge protector.

That's a very good question. I typically use APC surge protectors, but I suspect most with a UL certification would work fine. Any is better than none.

Fly!!! Eagles!!! Fly!!!
Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

About surge protectors...don't count on them if your house gets struck by lightning. Mine did and although I had my stuff plugged in to surge protectors, I still lost everthing. My brand new 65" LG OLED got fried but fortunately it was covered by my homeowners insurance. I lost every piece of electronic equipment that had a printed circuit board in it which was pretty much everything, including some major appliances and garage door opener. Surge protectors do not work 100% so don't hold your breath when the electricity fluctuates. A good surge protector is the kind that gets installed by an electrician and it gets put on your main electrical panel, the one in the wall with the door on it and usually cost thousands of dollars to get one installed.

Honored Contributor

wrote:

About surge protectors...don't count on them if your house gets struck by lightning. Mine did and although I had my stuff plugged in to surge protectors, I still lost everthing. My brand new 65" LG OLED got fried but fortunately it was covered by my homeowners insurance. I lost every piece of electronic equipment that had a printed circuit board in it which was pretty much everything, including some major appliances and garage door opener. Surge protectors do not work 100% so don't hold your breath when the electricity fluctuates. A good surge protector is the kind that gets installed by an electrician and it gets put on your main electrical panel, the one in the wall with the door on it and usually cost thousands of dollars to get one installed.

And sad to say, even those aren't foolproof. Lightning can find its way around pretty much anything we use to try and block it. You've just got to hope for the best, but if God wants to zap your stuff, it'll get zapped.

Fly!!! Eagles!!! Fly!!!
Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

wrote:

I've lost electronics due to lightning and is the reason I unplug all of my electronics during a serious storm.  Unless you have a whole house surge protector, you'll lose electronics if lightning is the source of the power surge.  Even then, it may not be strong enough to prevent damage. 

I'm not sure what the OP means when asking about the best customer service but, if you talking about anything after the warrenty has expired forget it.  Depending on the age of your TV, you'll get a better deal buying new than trying to repair it. 

I have a Sony TV, recently did a firmware update and all h@ll broke loose.  I started having all kinds of problems with the sound when using my DVR.  There was a loud , ear piercing beep, static with popping and screeching when stopping, pausing or resuming a recording.  I went online, Googled my problem and found a Sony message board with page after page of complaints.  Sony is aware of the problem and is working on a fix.  I found a workaround so the horrible noise is gone but, the sound out of my speakers is not as good.  This is the first time I've had a problem with a Sony TV and I've owned several.  There are enough complaints and people expecting Sony to fix this I doubt they can ignore it and hope we go away.

My point is, any company can have a problem or a lemon.  I won't let this problem stop me from buying another Sony if it's the best TV for the price. 

Honored Contributor

I'm not really sure Customer Service is the deal breaker here.  Electronics are not made to last.  Warranties are pretty minimal.

I think you need to look at electronics as disposable and get the best reviewed  one you can afford for how long it lasts.

===================================
QVC Shopper - 1993

# IAMTEAMWEN