Contributor

Re: TSV HP Laptop/Will it connect to dial-up internet?

This computer does not come with a 56K modem. You would have to purchase an external modem to use dial up service. They are available on Amazon for under $20. I would, however, check with your cable provider. They usually provide a discount when you subscribe to more than one of their services. It may be much cheaper than you think to add cable broadband to your TV package.
Honored Contributor

@NickNack  You pay a monthly fee to AOL if you want them to help you if you have trouble with their service.  I recently got crossways with them.  The person in India couldn't figure out how to fix my problem, in which case the standard procedure is to just hang up on you.  I still can't get any AOL mail and am gradually transitioning to another ISP.  What a pain!  I highly UNRECOMMEND this service.

New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment
Trusted Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Nightowlz wrote:

Do they still have dial-up? Why would you want slow-mo?

Yes, it's still available.

I did a search and it looks like Earthlink, peoplepc, and juno are still available for dial-up services.

I live in a rural area, and it wasn't too long ago that the end part of the county that I live in was able to have broadband service.

So, I would imagine that it's like this in even more remote rural areas, where broadband service is not yet available, but people still have connection to a phone service where they can use a dial-up internet service.

We used dial-up service for quite some time, until we had better DSL choices in our area.

Trusted Contributor

@lovessister2 wrote:

I just ordered the "Gold Lux" HP 17" laptop. I don't have DSL and do not wish to pay a monthly fee to get it from my local cable company. Can I connect via the phone line like I used to do with my desktop pc? I believe this is called dial-up. I have not been able to find out from HP because their screening process requires you to provide specific info that I won't have until the laptop arrives. Thanks.

You can still do it with your new laptop regarding dial-up service, but the way that Chynna has describe it in her post.

It may be less expensive now for you to try the least expensive DSL service though, unless for budgetary reasons and cost, you want to stay with dial-up service.

For DSL service, you can contact your phone provider-or other phone providers if you prefer-to see what they offer, and then you can get wireless service from them for your laptop.

Esteemed Contributor

@lovessister2 wrote:

I was hoping I could get by on what I have always used (cables/cords running to the telephone jack). I didn't want to have to "give" more money to the cable company that already gets $120 a month for television programming. AOL gets $9.99 a month so that's a good deal. And I don't know the difference between DSL, cable, high speed internet, broadband, etc. or if it is all the same. I think I will try to cancel the laptop order.

Please call your cable company and 'look" at a new service package that includes internet. You want fast internet speed at least 50/10.

I want to LOL. The best service package deals are found online.

Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Nuttmeg wrote:

@lovessister2 wrote:

I was hoping I could get by on what I have always used (cables/cords running to the telephone jack). I didn't want to have to "give" more money to the cable company that already gets $120 a month for television programming. AOL gets $9.99 a month so that's a good deal. And I don't know the difference between DSL, cable, high speed internet, broadband, etc. or if it is all the same. I think I will try to cancel the laptop order.

Please call your cable company and 'look" at a new service package that includes internet. You want fast internet speed at least 50/10.

I want to LOL. The best service package deals are found online.

It's often cheaper to have a package deal with your cable company.  I have Comcast double play, TV and internet, for the same price you pay for TV alone.  Do yourself a favor and look into it. 

Contributor

@ariane wrote:
This computer does not come with a 56K modem. You would have to purchase an external modem to use dial up service. They are available on Amazon for under $20. I would, however, check with your cable provider. They usually provide a discount when you subscribe to more than one of their services. It may be much cheaper than you think to add cable broadband to your TV package.

Thanks, Ariane.

If QVC sends the new laptop (cancel request is pending), I will have to either ship it back or look into how to get on line. I just didn't want to give Time Warner Cable more of my money. I so dislike them. I get advertisements all the time from them to bundle services. They are trying to get me away from AOL and AT&T and I have resisted. All of their special pricing ends after a year, leaving you to attempt to renegotiate a discount (meantime, you've switched phone and internet providers to them which makes walking away tough).

Contributor

@Toppers wrote:

@Nightowlz wrote:

I did a search and it looks like Earthlink, peoplepc, and juno are still available for dial-up services.

I live in a rural area, and it wasn't too long ago that the end part of the county that I live in was able to have broadband service.

So, I would imagine that it's like this in even more remote rural areas, where broadband service is not yet available, but people still have connection to a phone service where they can use a dial-up internet service.

We used dial-up service for quite some time, until we had better DSL choices in our area.

I live in Los Angeles. So the "ruralness" is all in my head. I have choices/options. I just don't like change and like to be frugal where I can (thus I bought a laptop on sale via QVC instead of visiting Best Buy where they'd likely try to upsell me.)

Honored Contributor

@lovessister2 wrote:

@Toppers wrote:

@Nightowlz wrote:

I live in Los Angeles. So the "ruralness" is all in my head. I have choices/options. I just don't like change and like to be frugal where I can (thus I bought a laptop on sale via QVC instead of visiting Best Buy where they'd likely try to upsell me.)

You can get cable/broadband internet in LA from several companies for $15/mo. Just how thrifty do you want to be?

Life without Mexican food is no life at all
Respected Contributor

@lovessister2 wrote:

@Toppers wrote:

@Nightowlz wrote:

I'm not sure you understand.  Cable companies have special prices when you bundle their services.  You need to go online or call and find out what offers they have.  Chances are, your price will go down if you add internet service to your home.