Honored Contributor

TONER CARTRIDGES: BRAND NAME OR GENERIC?

[ Edited ]

Just wondering .... When you buy a replacement toner cartridge for your printer, do you buy the brand name or a generic cartridge?

Either way .....  does it matter to you ....   why or why not?   

TIA!

Esteemed Contributor

Re: TONER CARTRIDGES: BRAND NAME OR GENERIC?

I always get the brand name (HP).  I think one time I bought an after market one and not only did it not last but the printer started giving out error messages.

Not to say that always happens, but I think I'll just stick with the (higher priced) brand.

Cogito ergo sum
Honored Contributor

I went with the EZInk replacement toner for my laser printer (Samsung model M2020) and it's been great and less than half the price of the name-brand toner. Absolutely no issues at all. 

Fly!!! Eagles!!! Fly!!!
Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

I've had HP Lasers for a long time and found generic toner cartdriges do not print as well as HP's. 

Yes, quality of print is very important to me.  HP's cost more, but from my experience they last longer, printing is always consistent, crisp, and professional looking.

Honored Contributor

The reason I'm asking is that I had a conversation with a friend who is VERY frugal .... and she says she always buys the more expensive HP cartridges because they are "better".   (Better?)   

She couldn't be any more specific than that, so I thought I'd ask here to get feedback before I buy my next cartridge.  

Honored Contributor

I have an HP printer and buy generic cartriges. Just the black ink.  They cost me about $9.00 each instead of $80 for the name brand HP cartridges. They work great! What a savings!!!!!

Honored Contributor

@Tinkrbl44 wrote:

The reason I'm asking is that I had a conversation with a friend who is VERY frugal .... and she says she always buys the more expensive HP cartridges because they are "better".   (Better?)   

She couldn't be any more specific than that, so I thought I'd ask here to get feedback before I buy my next cartridge.  

@Tinkrbl44 

Differing opinions here.  Why don't you try generic cartridges yourself?  Some may be good or satisfactory, others not so good.   

I've had some very bad ones, not only with print, but the ink leaked out into my printer.  

Esteemed Contributor

A toner cartridge lasts such a long time. I buy the real thing from HP. 

Honored Contributor

@Foxxee wrote:

@Tinkrbl44 wrote:

@Tinkrbl44 

Differing opinions here.  Why don't you try generic cartridges yourself?  Some may be good or satisfactory, others not so good.   

I've had some very bad ones, not only with print, but the ink leaked out into my printer.  

@Foxxee 

I have a generic cartridge in my HP printer right now.  I was debating whether to buy another or an HP cartridge after comments from HP Tech Support ... well, you know what they think I should do ....

Honored Contributor

Pretty much every toner cartridge you buy these days comes with a chip embedded in it that the printer reads. Good generic ones are recognized by the printer as being genuine and function the same as the original. (Toner is toner after all.) Printer manufacturers though will sometimes change up the firmware to root out the generic cartridge users. My printer is old enough that they don't bother updating the firmware, so the generics work great for me.

Fly!!! Eagles!!! Fly!!!