Honored Contributor

TEXTING DIFFICULTY ON SMARTPHONE

Is there some sort of TRICK to typing on a smartphone keyboard?  I keep hitting the wrong letters, and I have small hands.   How do people with larger hands and fingers hit the correct keys?  What am I missing here?

For years, I've had a great little LG phone ... similar to a Blackberry.  What I like about it is that it opens and there's a whole keyboard of little buttons, just like on a computer keyboard.  Cute and easy to use, but it's getting to be past it's prime.

so ... I have purchased a Samsung Galaxy Sky Pro 7 with Tracfone, and the keyboard buttons are small and clustered together ....  and I frequently hit the wrong key!   It's really frustrating and many times I have to back up and re-type the incorrect letters.

How do you avoid typing the wrong letters on your phone keyboard when they are so close together?

TIA!

Respected Contributor

Re: TEXTING DIFFICULTY ON SMARTPHONE

I often use the dictation feature, never got the hang of using my thumbs. 

Honored Contributor

I see people zipping along typing with both thumbs.  I don't know how they do it.  I have the Sky Pro 7, like you have.  It has the same keyboard as all the other smart phones I've had, sort of standard I think.  Fortunately I don't need to do much on it.

New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment
Valued Contributor

I type with my right index finger.   I don't know how people can type with their thumbs.  Still make mistakes.Smiley Frustrated

Trusted Contributor

@Tinkrbl44   I can't use my fingers or thumbs on my iphone so I always have a stylus pen with me.  It may take a little longer but at least the words make sense.Smiley LOL

Honored Contributor

Usually when you type in a few letters of an often used word, the phone will show that word, at which time you can tap on that word and enter it into your text without having to type every letter of every word in your text.

Honored Contributor

@Tinkrbl44 -

Welcome to the "mom text" world lol!

I don't know a trick and I have large fingers so I don't always hit the right keys.

I don't know how a finger bigger than 2 or 3 letters can hit the right one!

So my kids have learned to read yes what they affectionately refer to as mom text.

I do try sometimes to go over it. But it has also given us many moments of laughter.

My sister on the other hand will text back,"I can't read that" or she doesn't know what I'm trying to say.

One weird thing I'll tell you from one big hand to another😄, strangely I can be more accurate with my thumb then my forefinger (index finger).

And if you watch a lot of younger people, many or all I've seen, text with both thumbs. I don't know why it seems to work that way.

"If you walk the footsteps of a stranger, you'll learn things you never knew. Can you sing with all the voices of the mountains? can you paint with all the colors of the wind?"
Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

Oh and I got rid of the feature that helps you by typing the rest of the word after a few letters that they think is a good suggestion-that was worse than my mistakes.

We just didn't understand each other! 🧐

"If you walk the footsteps of a stranger, you'll learn things you never knew. Can you sing with all the voices of the mountains? can you paint with all the colors of the wind?"
Contributor

I got a Motorolo 7 this time and it's making me crazy. I don't know if it's defective or it's just me. When I try to open the screen to read or reply to text or call most of the time I will have to hit the button on the right side to get it to open. No matter how hard or how soft I try to scroll to open it rarely will do it. Anyone familiar with this phone?

Esteemed Contributor

@Tinkrbl44

I have used a SwiftKey custom free keyboard on my phone and tablets. I have large hands and fat fingers. It takes time to type on my phone. This keyboard does help.