Contributor

Re: TEXTING DIFFICULTY ON SMARTPHONE

Sometimes turning your phone to landscape view makes keys easier to strike. I personally use the text to speech function.

Honored Contributor

When I awoke this morning I had the same question on my mind as the OP. How do people text with thumbs? I can't do it. I type very fast with my index finger but I do make mistakes. I wind up editing everything I type. On a larger iPad, it's not possible to text with both hands and still hold onto the iPad. On a phone, the letters are so much smaller than the tips of my fingers, I just can't hit the keys in the right places when using my thipumbs. I have enough problems hitting the right keys with just one finger. Funny thing though. When I am on a REAL KEYBOARD with nice, old fashioned mechanicals keys, I can touch type and I'm fast.

Esteemed Contributor

I have an iPhone and type with thumbs faster than I can type on a full keyboard.  Don't use iPad for texting, takes to long since I can't use thumbs.  Took practice on the phone but I stuck with it. I have larger hands too. 

Contributor

You can buy a rubber tipped stylus in almost any computer store. That's all I use. My fingers are large so tap typing doesn't go well. I have a couple that are rubber tipped but also have a clicker to extend a ball point. Handy little rascal.

Honored Contributor

I hate doing texts or e-mails on the Iphone!  It makes me tired.  It's okay for tiny messages but not long ones.  I have also very small hands and fingers and I'm always hitting the wrong keys.  When I'm on my desk top I type very fast.  DH has very large hands and fingers and I asked him if he had difficulty with this and he said, yeah, but he never sends long messages.  I know what you mean --- I see people just going to town with both thumbs and I don't know how they do it!  

"A day without sunshine is like, you know, night." - Steve Martin
Respected Contributor

Using a stylus will solve this problem. I'm using one right now on my tablet. They are cheap on amazon, and you will loose them, but it's a game changer.

-- pro-aging --

Rochester, New York
Honored Contributor

I find that dictation works best for me.  I just can't get my fingers to cooperate enough to type in my messages.  My biggest issue is that sometimes the wrong word comes up, but as long as I can remember to proof read, I can deal with that.  One weird recurring error is the name "Bob".  For some reason, no matter how clearly I think I'm speaking, it always comes out "Barb"!  I always have to correct it.

Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

I have very nimble fingers, since I started playing the piano at age 7 and have typed all my life.  I find it easy to type with both thumbs.  That being said, I rarely do it.  It is so much EASIER to use the talk to text function.  Like @Krimpette said, I do have to go back and proofread to make sure the dictation is correct, but that is a minor annoyance for all the time talk to text saves!  All you have to do is touch this icon and talk away!  ETA:  You do have to remember to say the words "comma" and "period."  I just visualize what the sentence looks like in my head as I'm saying it, and saying the words comma and period come naturally.

Screen Shot 2021-02-13 at 8.30.53 AM.png

Honored Contributor

@RedTop wrote:

Usually when you type in a few letters of an often used word, the phone will show that word, at which time you can tap on that word and enter it into your text without having to type every letter of every word in your text.

On most phones that feature has to be enabled.

There are several settings that can be enabled or tweaked to solve her problem

Respected Contributor

I trained myself to type with my thumbs on my phone. It was a learning curve. I began by holding my phone in landscape, but eventually I started holding the phone upright.