Honored Contributor

Switching from AT&T DSL Internet to AT&T Uverse Internet questions

I’ll probably be switching my internet from AT&T DSL to AT&T Uverse after the new year. I won’t be switching my phone over. My questions have to do with UVerse. If you have it for just the Internet and have switched from DSL and have a SMART TV did you have to revonfigure your TV to the new internet? I have a Sony smart TV. Did you get to keep your previous AT&T email address? Does your combination gateway router+ modem signal reach your whole house? Thanks. 

I have ave spoken with AT&T before this post but these were the questions I forgot to ask them.

Honored Contributor

Re: Switching from AT&T DSL Internet to AT&T Uverse Internet questions

I don't recall having to do anything when I switched from DirecTV to Uverse.

I have an old Sony Smart TV in the living room.   Maybe the installer did it when he was here.    Later when I got a new smart TV in the bedroom, I don't recall any "fancy" set up.  I just plugged everything in & it worked.   Took me longer to figure out how to use it.  But that's me.

I did get a booster for the internet

My house is not that big but it's shaped like a rectangle.   The modem is at one end of the house and the signal was a bit weak at the opposite end.    

My email changed because I had been using AOL, which I no longer use.

@Mindy D wrote:

I’ll probably be switching my internet from AT&T DSL to AT&T Uverse after the new year. I won’t be switching my phone over. My questions have to do with UVerse. If you have it for just the Internet and have switched from DSL and have a SMART TV did you have to revonfigure your TV to the new internet? I have a Sony smart TV. Did you get to keep your previous AT&T email address? Does your combination gateway router+ modem signal reach your whole house? Thanks. 

I have ave spoken with AT&T before this post but these were the questions I forgot to ask them.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

When you change routers then all of your wifi devices, including your smart TVs, will have to be reconnected to the wifi using your new wifi network password.

Just go to 'Settings' on your smart TV and look for 'internet set-up', or something like that, and there you can reconnect your TV to the internet. Connecting is usually automatic because smart TVs will search for your wifi signal and connect. If there is a problem you will get a message. 

Respected Contributor

I changed Internet provider last week and had to update computer, tablet, TV's,  Ring Video doorbell, and the list goes on be sure to ask because once they leave your stuck with trying to figure it out.

Honored Contributor

@Mindy D 

Smart TV internet connection to wifi needs to be manually set up initially. So what I said earlier is not completely true where I said it was automatic, which it is after you go to the settings screen to force your TV to look for your new wifi signal.