Esteemed Contributor

A little history:  In 2005 I purchased a lifetime Sirius plan for $300.  By the time I sold the car in 2012 they reneged on deal but after I negotiated with them said they would honor one more radio on that deal so I still have XM on my Prius purchased in 2012 at no additional charge.  Fast forward to last month when we added another XM radio to our account.  We are still in trial period on that radio and were due to start a new plan at $142 starting in August.  Today I received an email offer for $77 per year to re activate my radio (in car sold in 2012) so I called XM and negotiated THAT deal in lieu of $142 deal starting in August.  I succeeded and now have a year of XM on my new car for $77 for first year (believe me we'll talk in August 2019).

Trusted Contributor

@patbz

I’ve had xm for years. I learned a long time ago to never renew my subscription. Instead I call a few days before my service expires. I tell them I want to cancel because it’s too expensive. They then come up with all these better deals. I think my last rate was around $80 for a year. That’s total with taxes, royalties, etc... You just have to make sure you call before it runs out or they charge you at the current rates. 

Valued Contributor

I am going to do that next year. I get suckered in every year and they always refuse to lower it when I call in and say the same thing. They don’t say a thing except that they will happy to take care of my cancellation. Next year I really am going to cancel unless they offer a major reduction. 

@Tribesters wrote:

@patbz

I’ve had xm for years. I learned a long time ago to never renew my subscription. Instead I call a few days before my service expires. I tell them I want to cancel because it’s too expensive. They then come up with all these better deals. I think my last rate was around $80 for a year. That’s total with taxes, royalties, etc... You just have to make sure you call before it runs out or they charge you at the current rates.