Honored Contributor

Re: Suggestions please for a good AM-FM Radio

@nana59 : Thank you. I am researching this and everything that I find is used and wondering if this is still worth the risk and investment.❤️

@nana59 wrote:

i've noticed that Bose prices aren't as high as they were.....might research it....i have one without all the bells and whistles.....have had it almost 20 years.....

Honored Contributor

@QVCkitty1 : I just checked the apps you suggested and can't find any free for my IPad. Purchase $9.99. I may try this because the radio reception today not clear.

@QVCkitty1 wrote:

@SouthernBee wrote:

DH is a sports fan . Currently watching the Atlanta Braves. Our cable provider is WOW. The extra channel for the Braves game for the last two nights has had technical difficulties and still not resolved. Really trying to avoid extra fees for Apps or what ever everything is called. We have a radio with the combo player for records, cds and cassettes but not a very clear broadcast. I have an old Sony boom box and not great. Any suggestions appreciated. Thank you.

With regular radio you can only pick up so much. IHeart radio and TuneIn Apps are free.

Honored Contributor

@SouthernBee wrote:

@QVCkitty1 : I just checked the apps you suggested and can't find any free for my IPad. Purchase $9.99. I may try this because the radio reception today not clear.

@SouthernBee  Did you check through the App Store?

• Free
    • Offers In-App Purchases

"Never argue with a fool. Onlookers may not be able to tell the difference."

220-AuCC-US-CRM-Header-Update.gif

Honored Contributor

@Mz iMac : I looked for the free app first and didn't see it. Then the purchase one indicated just $9.99 a month so I clicked install. The station that I wanted popped up and I clicked on it- then in the middle of page was another pop up indicated $14.99 a month with one week free trial . I tried to bypass the page but DH upset because missing the baseball game . I clicked on it thinking that I could cancel after the game. The broadcast was extremely clear and great plus included one of DH favorite announcers. After the game- I deleted the app and then went under settings to delete and cancel. Received a confirmation of the cancellation but indicated still had availability to view for a week. Looked on the home page and app was reinstalled. Next week will look again for the free app. Plus will do more research for a radio with better options and able to adjust.

Honored Contributor

@SouthernBee   An Amazon Dot is $39.99 at Best Buy - and it will probably be on sale around the holidays.  It's a smart speaker and it picks up radio stations, including the Braves' flagship radio station, WCNN AM (680 The Fan).  MLB teams sometimes block their live radio broadcasts from the internet but I don't think the Braves do because I am right now - in Pennsylvania - listening to the Braves' post-game show on 680 The Fan via my Dot.

My team is the Phillies.  The Phillies didn't allow its flagship radio station to live-stream games until this year.  My understanding is that they now allow it to stream only within a certain geographic area, i.e, an area that approximates the reception area of the radio station.  The idea is to protect the revenue stream of services like Sirius XM, which carry all MLB games live - for a monthly fee, of course.

Honored Contributor

@SouthernBee  Install the app from "The App Store" which is already on your iPad.

"Never argue with a fool. Onlookers may not be able to tell the difference."

220-AuCC-US-CRM-Header-Update.gif

Honored Contributor

@Mz iMac : Just tried and indicated purchase fee. Will try next week when the trial week ends.

Honored Contributor

@ValuSkr : Stupid question because I don't understand. Is the Amazon dot the artificial intelligence stuff because DH doesn't want it in the house or is this just a special speaker. I currently have a $10 certificate from Best Buy. Thanks.

Honored Contributor

@SouthernBee wrote:

@QVCkitty1 wrote:

@SouthernBee wrote:

DH is a sports fan . Currently watching the Atlanta Braves. Our cable provider is WOW. The extra channel for the Braves game for the last two nights has had technical difficulties and still not resolved. Really trying to avoid extra fees for Apps or what ever everything is called. We have a radio with the combo player for records, cds and cassettes but not a very clear broadcast. I have an old Sony boom box and not great. Any suggestions appreciated. Thank you.

With regular radio you can only pick up so much. IHeart radio and TuneIn Apps are free.

@SouthernBee , I'm sorry that I steered you wrong. The stations that I listen to are free on my IPad so I assumed that all were .  I should check before I give advice, but I meant well. Again sorry.

" You are entitled to your opinion. But you are not entitled to your own facts."
Daniel Patrick Moynihan
Highlighted
Honored Contributor

@QVCkitty1 : Please you didn't steer me wrong. You gave me information. Plus it worked out for DH since he didn't miss the game. I still appreciate you and your help. No need to apologize. ❤️