Honored Contributor

Re: Suggestions please for a good AM-FM Radio

@kaydee50 : Checked Bed Bath and Beyond and no longer available. Thank you.❤️

@kaydee50 wrote:

We bought a $50 radio from Bed Bath & Beyond a couple of years ago.  IHome is the brand.  Sound is excellent.   For a basic AM/FM radio it's great, IMO.

Honored Contributor

@QVCkitty1 : Thank you . Will research this.❤️

@QVCkitty1 wrote:

@SouthernBee wrote:

DH is a sports fan . Currently watching the Atlanta Braves. Our cable provider is WOW. The extra channel for the Braves game for the last two nights has had technical difficulties and still not resolved. Really trying to avoid extra fees for Apps or what ever everything is called. We have a radio with the combo player for records, cds and cassettes but not a very clear broadcast. I have an old Sony boom box and not great. Any suggestions appreciated. Thank you.

With regular radio you can only pick up so much. IHeart radio and TuneIn Apps are free.

Honored Contributor

@PickyPicky3 : This radio comb you can't adjust anything and no treble. Will research your other suggestions. Thank you.❤️

@PickyPicky3 wrote:

Before you buy anything, try increasing the treble on your radios to see if that helps.

Is the game carried on AM or FM in your area? Most modern radios have weak AM reception. Sangean is a good brand for strong reception. I recently bought a new bathroom radio at Walmart (Jensen $18.95) which has very clear speech, not so good for music.

Honored Contributor

@ValuSkr : Thank you. Will research your suggestions. ❤️

@ValuSkr wrote:

I've noticed that reception on my two radios has worsened in recent years, particularly at the left end of the FM band.  Do receivers go bad after a number of years?  I've googled that question to no avail.

What saved me is an Amazon Dot (smart speaker).  It picks up radio stations, including many that carry live sporting events.  

If MLB is your main concern, anotther option is to subscribe to Sirius XM.  You can listen on any device that streams, not just a satellite radio.

Honored Contributor

@Just Bling : Thank you. Will share info with DH since he has the computer. I have the IPad. He really doesn't like the IPad but I installed ESPN and NFL app for him to use when he is desperate. ❤️

@Just Bling wrote:

@SouthernBee 

Listen on your computer with Sirius.

I believe they broadcast all the games and it would be perfect.  There's great music too, I have a subscription, besides my car, I can log into their site and listen on my computer.  

I believe they have trial subscriptions and that would be an option instead of worrying about a signal.

Call listener services and see what they can do for you for a short period of time, try it before you commit to it.

You can go onto the internet site and check the channels to confirm the Atlanta Braves games are broadcasted but I believe they have all MLB games. 

Just a thought.

Honored Contributor

@Etoile308 : Thank you. Researching your suggestions. ❤️

@Etoile308 wrote:

Most major sports teams have their own free apps. There should be an option on the app to hear a live broadcast of the game. I would try that first before buying something.

Honored Contributor

@Etoile308 @Just Bling @Mz iMac @ValuSkr @PickyPicky3 - Thank you. Well you know the old saying: location, location. The radio combo was sitting on a bookcase in the corner of the den. Moved everything near the den door and taped the wire thing( senior moment- can't remember the correct name) to the wall for better reception. Was able to tune to the Atlanta Braves Radio station. Everything much clearer and no static. Made notes and keeping all your suggestions for future use if needed. Thanks again. 🤗❤️❤️

Esteemed Contributor

i've noticed that Bose prices aren't as high as they were.....might research it....i have one without all the bells and whistles.....have had it almost 20 years.....

Respected Contributor

@SouthernBee, Oh I'm glad that worked out for you. The pressure is off in case you decide you do want to pick up a radio. Gives you time to look around, read reviews, and look for sales.

Honored Contributor

@Etoile308 : Thank you. I will do more research. DH birthday is in September but if can't find anything definitely something to consider for Christmas. The radio combo player is big and heavy to be moving around . We have had this for years and enjoyed all the features- radio, cd, cassette and record player and has definitely been worth the money spent but ready to downsize and find something better.❤️