Honored Contributor

Suggestions please for a good AM-FM Radio

DH is a sports fan . Currently watching the Atlanta Braves. Our cable provider is WOW. The extra channel for the Braves game for the last two nights has had technical difficulties and still not resolved. Really trying to avoid extra fees for Apps or what ever everything is called. We have a radio with the combo player for records, cds and cassettes but not a very clear broadcast. I have an old Sony boom box and not great. Any suggestions appreciated. Thank you.

Honored Contributor

Re: Suggestions please for a good AM-FM Radio

Bose. 

New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment
Honored Contributor

@SouthernBee wrote:

DH is a sports fan . Currently watching the Atlanta Braves. Our cable provider is WOW. The extra channel for the Braves game for the last two nights has had technical difficulties and still not resolved. Really trying to avoid extra fees for Apps or what ever everything is called. We have a radio with the combo player for records, cds and cassettes but not a very clear broadcast. I have an old Sony boom box and not great. Any suggestions appreciated. Thank you.

With regular radio you can only pick up so much. IHeart radio and TuneIn Apps are free.

" You are entitled to your opinion. But you are not entitled to your own facts."
Daniel Patrick Moynihan
Honored Contributor

We bought a $50 radio from Bed Bath & Beyond a couple of years ago.  IHome is the brand.  Sound is excellent.   For a basic AM/FM radio it's great, IMO.

Respected Contributor

Before you buy anything, try increasing the treble on your radios to see if that helps.

Is the game carried on AM or FM in your area? Most modern radios have weak AM reception. Sangean is a good brand for strong reception. I recently bought a new bathroom radio at Walmart (Jensen $18.95) which has very clear speech, not so good for music.

Honored Contributor

I've noticed that reception on my two radios has worsened in recent years, particularly at the left end of the FM band.  Do receivers go bad after a number of years?  I've googled that question to no avail.

What saved me is an Amazon Dot (smart speaker).  It picks up radio stations, including many that carry live sporting events.  

If MLB is your main concern, anotther option is to subscribe to Sirius XM.  You can listen on any device that streams, not just a satellite radio.

Honored Contributor

@ValuSkr wrote:

Do receivers go bad after a number of years?  I've googled that question to no avail.

What saved me is an Amazon Dot (smart speaker).  It picks up radio stations, including many that carry live sporting events.  

@ValuSkr    My receiver is nearing 40 yrs young & still going strong.  It's a Sony.  My 5 disc Sony CD player is nearing 30 yrs young.  So maybe it depends on the brand and/or if it's a Japanese brand?

Another thing to note:  Once a year my paramour blows compress air inside the vents.

Amazon DOT carries radio stations from all over the world.  All you need are the "call letters and/or numbers."

At night I listed to "talk" radio from different countries.  Most are English speaking.

"Never argue with a fool. Onlookers may not be able to tell the difference."

220-AuCC-US-CRM-Header-Update.gif

Respected Contributor

@SouthernBee 

Listen on your computer with Sirius.

I believe they broadcast all the games and it would be perfect.  There's great music too, I have a subscription, besides my car, I can log into their site and listen on my computer.  

I believe they have trial subscriptions and that would be an option instead of worrying about a signal.

Call listener services and see what they can do for you for a short period of time, try it before you commit to it.

You can go onto the internet site and check the channels to confirm the Atlanta Braves games are broadcasted but I believe they have all MLB games. 

Just a thought.

Respected Contributor

Most major sports teams have their own free apps. There should be an option on the app to hear a live broadcast of the game. I would try that first before buying something.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Kachina624 : Wish I could afford it. Thank you.❤️

@Kachina624 wrote:

Bose.