Valued Contributor

Suggestions, Please

[ Edited ]

Getting a new computer and want to transfer everything on my Dell running windows 8 to HP running windows 10-- what is the best and easiest way to do this?- I am not savvy about this process at all. I also have a very old (9 years!) Dell- ( running windows 7) that I'd like to transfer pics and files to the Dell windows 8 just as a backup of that one should it finally give up the ghost- I rarely use the really old one- but i do keep it up to date just because it does have a lot of old stuff i still want.-- TIA!!!

Respected Contributor

@sipp wrote:

Getting a new computer and want to transfer everything on my Dell running windows 8 to HP running windows 10-- what is the best and easiest way to do this?- I am not savvy about this process at all. I also have a very old (9 years!) Dell- ( running windows 7) that I'd like to transfer pics and files to the Dell windows 8 just as a backup of that one should it finally give up the ghost- I rarely use the really old one- but i do keep it up to date just because it does have a lot of old stuff i still want.-- TIA!!!

What do you use as a backup?  If the answer is nothing, buy an external had drive, connect it to each computer and use Windows Explorer to drag and drop files from the computer to the external hard drive.  Once that is completed, connect the external hard drive to the new computer and use File Explorer (new name for Windows Explorer) to drag and drop the files.  You can also burn files to CDs or DVDs if the new computer has an optical drive.  Many new computers don't include an optical drive (CD/DVD drive) so check.  A third option is to upload the files to cloud storage then download them to the new computer.  What ever you choose, you need a backup or second copy of the data you can't afford to lose.