Esteemed Contributor

When you mentioned online craft classes, I thought about screen size being the dealbreaker.  

Or else I just have old, defective eyes 👓

Frequent Contributor

Thanks to everyone who responded. You gave me lots to think about. Your answers were so clear and thorough. Hope this new year is your best one yet!

Trusted Contributor

@NYCLatinaMe Now I'm confused.  I was told that if I did replace my desktop with a laptop I could still use my current monitor, mouse and keyboard and just plug them into the laptop.  No?

Valued Contributor

A wireless keyboard and mouse come with a dongle.  This is a little device that slips into the ports on a laptop and allows the keyboard and mouse to communicate with the laptop (same as with a desktop).  I have used a wireless mouse on a laptop.

I have not connected my wireless keyboard to my laptop but could, and if I were doing a lot of work I would because I like the touch of the keyboard better.  Incidental typing on this laptop is fine.  Anything more and I would be more productive using a wireless keyboard.

I have not hooked a separate monitor to a laptop.  I am assuming it is done using a cable.  But if you need to hook up an external monitor, keyboard, and mouse to a laptop, you're better off with a desktop IMO.

Esteemed Contributor

@chlema wrote:

@NYCLatinaMe Now I'm confused.  I was told that if I did replace my desktop with a laptop I could still use my current monitor, mouse and keyboard and just plug them into the laptop.  No?

Hi @chlema Yes, you may be able to continue to use your current monitor, mouse and keyboard if you choose AND your laptop has the right plugs for these things. They may or may not work with or without a docking station.  But if you have a laptop, you don't need an outside monitor (as long as you can see the screen!), keyboard or mouse.  The laptop includes all these things in a convenient portable packet.  Many people like to add monitor, mouse and keyboard to their laptops.  Not me!  But I do have such a setup at work, with a docking station.  I have 2 large monitors at work and it is useful to do my job.  It's a matter of preference.  Hope I am being clear and not confusing!

Esteemed Contributor

Re: Suggestions Appreciated

[ Edited ]

Spoiler

@Miami Spices wrote:

I use my iPad for 80% of my emails, searches, shopping, etc... I am looking to upgrade my laptop, which I use as a desk top- online craft classes, etc...My Windows 7 will no longer be supported very soon, and my laptop is old. What are the benefits of a laptop vs. desk top? Thanks in advance for any suggestions.

I just reread your message. I still like the Dell XPS 8930 with a Intel i5-9400 processor 8GB RAM, 1TB hard drive, a DVD drive and a least a 2GB video card. 

I just noticed you do online craft classes. You may want to consider a Dell UP2516D monitor, because it has a very bright screen. This series feature panels that will show 1 Billion colors. Where most products display 16.7 Million. 

Buying Tips. 

I buy a computer tower one day , and the monitor the

next day.

The tower comes with a one year, and the display comes with a 3 year advanced replacement warranty. 

Dell will give you a one year warranty on these products brought together. 

Please ask Dell sales will a 2GB video card work with this display.