Honored Contributor

Re: Strange Beeping Noise In Living Room

I had a similar experience a while back and it was an old handheld game that had fallen behind my desk and been forgotten. For whatever reason, it decided to start making odd noises all on its own. Once I found it (it took a while to track down) and pulled the batteries, the sound went away.

If it was tinnitus it would follow you wherever you went. With it just being in the one room, it's a device of some sort. If all else fails, unplug everything and see if the sound persists. If not then plug things back in one at a time and see when the sound returns. If unplugging everything doesn't kill the sound then start looking under furniture, pulling out the furniture, in drawers, in pockets of any coats you might have hanging up, for anything battery-powered. You'll eventually find the culprit.

Fly!!! Eagles!!! Fly!!!
Esteemed Contributor

My ear with the worst tinnitus can hear electric pulsing in heating elements. Things like throws?

Valued Contributor

I will have my landlord check the smoke alarm.
Trusted Contributor

Do you have a programmable thermostat? Ours beeps when the battery is low. 

Esteemed Contributor

Just unbelievable!  CO alarm is reading this thread.  Two AA needed.

Remember that old song "They are coming to me away ha ha"?

Honored Contributor

it's probably your smoke alarm. Check the battery.

Honored Contributor

@grammarqueen   Update?    confused.gif

"Never argue with a fool. Onlookers may not be able to tell the difference."

220-AuCC-US-CRM-Header-Update.gif

Valued Contributor

I’m still waiting to hear back from my landlord. But I’m telling you, I sit almost directly under the smoke alarm, and I think I would know if it were coming from there. I can’t emphasize enough how faint the sound is. Every time I hear it, it seems to be coming from a different spot, sometimes to my right and then to my left. There’s never another beep afterwards so I can go and stand where I had last heard it to catch another one and get closer to the source. There are days when I don’t hear it, and others where I hear it up to half a dozen times.
Trusted Contributor

Do you live by a parking lot? It could be a delivery driver's reverse beeping sound you hear occasionally and then the truck leaves, just a thought. If the sound comes and goes, it sure is a mystery...

Regular Contributor

Could it be a cricket?  Those little buggers have a habit of sounding from one place and really being at a different place.  They go silent if you get close.