Honored Contributor

Re: Strange Beeping Noise In Living Room

@grammarqueen wrote:
It isn’t the smoke alarm because it’s wired into the house and not run on batteries (I live in attached garage apartment). I do know the sound when a smoke alarm battery is getting low and it’s an unmistakable sound like someone’s rubber soled athletic shoe slipped on linoleum. Oh, and I have a carbon monoxide alarm in the bedroom and I know it’s not that because when the batteries were going it woke me out of a dead sleep - not faint at all! I don’t have Bluetooth either.
I am leaning towards tinnitus, but I hear it only in my living room. When I’m in my car, it’s very quiet after I’ve turned the engine off, but I’ve never heard it there. My tinnitus sounds similar to constant Spring Peeper frogs!

are you positive it is not the smoke detector?

we had hardwired smoke detectors, but they also had a battery backup in them in case our electricity went out. it would be a very low beep initially when the battery was low or beginning to die.

"The world is a dangerous place, not because of those who do evil, but because of those who look on and do nothing." - Albert Einstein
Valued Contributor

Not the smoke detector. Sound is very faint! Smoke alarm manufacturers want a person to be very aware that their batteries need replacing, so they make the sound loud, obvious and unmistakable. Think of the lawsuits they would face if house fires happened because people weren’t aware they should have changed out their batteries.
Esteemed Contributor

Smoke detecter.  Just changed mine.

Honored Contributor

@grammarqueen wrote:
Not the smoke detector. Sound is very faint! Smoke alarm manufacturers want a person to be very aware that their batteries need replacing, so they make the sound loud, obvious and unmistakable. Think of the lawsuits they would face if house fires happened because people weren’t aware they should have changed out their batteries.

i have a few that are NOT like that, which is why i suggested checking them. not all of them make loud noises when the battery is beginning to die.

"The world is a dangerous place, not because of those who do evil, but because of those who look on and do nothing." - Albert Einstein
Honored Contributor

Could the sound be coming from outside the house?     (There are owls in my neighborhood.)

♥Surface of the Sun♥
Esteemed Contributor

@grammarqueen wrote:
It isn’t the smoke alarm because it’s wired into the house and not run on batteries (I live in attached garage apartment). I do know the sound when a smoke alarm battery is getting low and it’s an unmistakable sound like someone’s rubber soled athletic shoe slipped on linoleum. Oh, and I have a carbon monoxide alarm in the bedroom and I know it’s not that because when the batteries were going it woke me out of a dead sleep - not faint at all! I don’t have Bluetooth either.
I am leaning towards tinnitus, but I hear it only in my living room. When I’m in my car, it’s very quiet after I’ve turned the engine off, but I’ve never heard it there. My tinnitus sounds similar to constant Spring Peeper frogs!

@grammarqueen  I think you “hit the nail on its head” in your original post ....  IT’S A GHOST!!!!!! ..... Happy Halloween 🎃👻💀☠️🎃

Honored Contributor

@grammarqueen wrote:

@grammarqueen Tinnitus is worse in my great room because that is where I watch/listen to TV.  It is constant but you notice it more because it interferes with the TV audio.  Mine is really bad because I take lots of steroids for various autoimmune conditions.

Honored Contributor

A kitchen timer in a drawer?  An alarm clock in another room?  

Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

Sometimes when I have the TV on (for example QVC) and a person on the show is talking to someone via Skye I will hear a few intermittent beeps and I figured out it was coming from the Skyping person on that TV show rather than from one of my personal electronic gadgets. 

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

Depending on it's make, model and age, a hard-wired smoke detector needs replacing at some point in time, usually after around 10 years. They do not last forever. So you may want to investigate that further.

@grammarqueen 

ETA- I had a hard-wired smoke detector in my house and it was older than 20 years! It never beeped. The only reason I knew it needed replacing was when I had a new alarm system put in my house and the installer told me all smoke detectors need to be replaced at least every 10 years, hard-wired or not. I did not know that back then! I hope this helps someone here b/c it's important to know.