Respected Contributor

Sound Bar for Voice Enhancement (volume) only

[ Edited ]

Can anyone recommend a sound bar that is specifically for voice enhancement only.  We are noticing that some programming has terribly low voice volume.  Particularly if we are watching shows utilizing our Amazon Fire.

We've tried one system advertised specifically for this problem; didn't work as described, we returned it.  DH then got a Bose Solo 5.  He is content with it, I am not.  Yes, it does increase voice volume and clarity, but if there is background music it is too loud.  It operates with its own remote, not the television's and I can't be asking him all the time to make adjustments.  It also enhances the commercials which many are too loud to begin with.

I have exceptionally good hearing but unfortunately am sound/noise sensitive.  My husband hearing is so-so and isn't very understanding of my sound sensitivity issue.   Perhaps what I want just hasn't been invented yet.

Honored Contributor

Re: Sound Bar for Voice Enhancement (volume) only

You described my DH and I perfectly.We had to quit watching the same tv and so far that is the only solution that worked for us.

Honored Contributor

I don't own one but I saw a soundbar for voice enhancement presented on HSN a couple of times. The brand is ZVOX AccuVoice and they make several different sizes. Here's what I read about it on HSN:

"Tired of constantly missing dialogue because of your TV's tiny speakers? This AccuVoice soundbar uses three full-range speakers and hearing-aid technology to isolate voices and amplify them above background noise for great clarity — and no more missed conversations. It even lowers the volume of loud commercials. One-plug connectivity makes setup a breeze, and you can even connect a second audio source. It's your TV the way you want to hear it. "

The one I looked at is 17" long and cost $200. They're priced all the way up to $700 for the 57". Looks like this brand has some very good reviews on Amazon as well as HSN.

@Allegheny

Respected Contributor

@SilleeMee  Thank you so much!  I am off to look at it now.  

We don't experience this problem all the time.  There are shows and movies that the "spoken word" is barely audible, yet the background sounds are enhanced.  I am not sure if the issue is with how they are originally recorded or broadcast. 

I've done some reading that the problem may also be related to the speaker systems in the flat screens.

As I mentioned I am not thrilled with the Bose.  Right now we are watching the Price is Right.  The voice is good, but when the music starts, the volume increases.  This program sounds better thru our Sony's speakers.  Its driving me nuts and I am annoying my husband.

Honored Contributor

I know exactly what you are talking about @Allegheny. On my TV there is a choice of audio listening modes. There are settings for movies, music, sports and also one for voice (speech). I have my TV set on the 'voice' mode so that way I can hear what people are saying rather than the background music or noises. I'm glad my TV has that feature. Did you check your TV audio settings? Maybe yours might have this feature, too.Woman Happy

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Allegheny

Since you have a Bose, whatever the name, I know it was not cheap. Full disclosure, anything Bose for me, is way over priced just because of their name and my ears don't like their sound.

I spent $159.95 for a computerized component so small it fits in my shirt pocket. It is like a "sound mixer" used by sound engineers that are making recordings. It electronically adjusts all sounds, and moves the dialogue out front where they usually belong, especially for videos.

It will connect to any tv/is easy to connect via HDMI cable/you DO NOT need another remote control/you can connect it to 2 different components if you wish, plus you can set your master volume much lower, it does the rest. No big sound bar, just a small and thin little box.

It is called the Aftermaster Pro, and for me better than anything now on the market for those wishing to be able to hear dialogue much better, and also enhance all sounds on any source through which has sound running into it's 2  HDMI Inputs. Might want to check it out as it does just what it is designed to do for any audio source connected to it.

hckynut(john)

hckynut(john)
Respected Contributor

@hckynut  Thanks John.  I will check it out.  We did have a product prior to the Bose that we returned because it just didn't do the job.  I can't recall the name, will have to check with DH.

I will have to have DH fiddle around with our Sony's audio system.  While it is an older Sony, it was one of their top of the line models.

I am thinking we should cart outselves off to an audio store and plead our problem and see what they have to say and have to offer before we keep buying and returning.  I don't think this is a problem isolated to us.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Allegheny

I think most people have this problem. I have had external audio systems hooked up to all of our TV sets, and for decades. This dialogue problem began with some of the advanced sound used in a lot of things produced for television shows.

They enhanced the "sound effects in the background", at the expense of reducing the audio ability of the dialogue. When music is produ itced and made for CD's etc, there is always a sound engineer listening and mixing the sounds. When they want specific instruments to become more the primary sound, that is the way they mix that part of their recordings.

The Aftermaster Pro was highly rated at this years Consumer Electronic Show(CES) as one of the products that greatly enhanced all the audio produced from all sources, including even CD or DVD digital sound recordings. All of the sounds, even when run through my new 7.2  Surround Sound System, are enhanced without me doing a thing.

It takes up no space/once connected works automatically/does not need it's own remote control/can be move to any source, tv or otherwise, that has an HDMI Input. Our dialogue now is crystal clear, and without turning up the volume.

At Audio Stores, even in their "Sound Rooms", they can manipulate sounds in all kinds of different ways. It depends on what device they are trying to sell. An Audio in their room, will not sound the same in anyone's home, as it depends a whole lot of the acoustics of the listeners room. I learned that from my friend that owns an electronics store.

Lots of choices and claims out there, I chose this device because it was introduced by actual music electronic engineers and also because it enhances all sounds at the intended decibel levels and brings the dialogue forward when it is the primary sound source intended at specific times.

hckynut(john)

hckynut(john)
Honored Contributor

@SilleeMee wrote:

I know exactly what you are talking about @Allegheny. On my TV there is a choice of audio listening modes. There are settings for movies, music, sports and also one for voice (speech). I have my TV set on the 'voice' mode so that way I can hear what people are saying rather than the background music or noises. I'm glad my TV has that feature. Did you check your TV audio settings? Maybe yours might have this feature, too.Woman Happy

Thank you for mentioning this!!!  I just changed my settings.  I was thinking I needed to buy a new tv and the sound was going.  There are some movies that I rent from Amazon that sound like they are under water.  LOL

===================================
QVC Shopper - 1993

# IAMTEAMWEN
Respected Contributor

@SilleeMee  I am sure it probably does, but it isn't something I would attempt on my own because for sure I would screw up something in the process with having the cable, dvr and router all connected and programmed to the new Bose remote.  Right now DH is annoyed with me as he feels I am being difficult.