Trusted Contributor

Re: Sound Bar for Voice Enhancement (volume) only

I have the ZYVOX sound bar someone ^^^^^ up there mentioned. I got it for $169.00 at a sale price on HSN.

It does its job. The sound is fine, and when you get those shows where the voice volume is low, I just hit the "accuvoice" button and it dulls the background and brings forth the voices. It doesn't change the volume of the TV overall, it just manages the voice volume.

I like it and use the accuvoice a lot. It does not distort the sound either.

I bought a second one during the July birthday surprise sales and it was $159.00 (10 bucks cheaper) for my TV in the bedroom.

I used to have the TV so loud my adult son would walk in and say "I can hear the TV in the garage!". LOL, oops, guess I am deaf. haha. I know I am not young, but I also know the networks play games with the volume. I thought there was a law passed a few years ago to govern how loud commercials are, but they seem to be right back up at a whole different volume level than a regular TV show.

Now I can have a normal TV volume and still hear.

Honored Contributor

We have a POLK magnifi mini....it enhances the sound as well as ALL other 'noise' in the program...sometimes if there is spooky music, it scares the dog!

If there is something that would enhance voices only, that would be great, but not sure it exists.  If you find something, please post what it is.

Some programs are so low in volume it's ridiculous then when you turn the volume up, the commercials blow you out of the room.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

Hi @Mom2Dogs,

I wrote my usual essays about this topic. What I bought does exactly what most want, plus it enhances all the sound(even those with Polk speakers, I have them too)/and it does not take up any precious space in my "stock full" entertainment stand.  Detailed it out pretty well in my 2 other posts in this thread.

Hope your weekend finds you well and happy.

hn

hckynut(john)
Honored Contributor

@Allegheny did you already buy a soundbar? If not, HSN has the ZVOX soundbar as the Today's Special.  It comes with a remote control. That must be a new feature...never seen one with that before. Also comes in different colors.

ZVOX AccuVoice Soundbar with 6-Level Audiology Dialogue Boost & Remote

612-964
zvox-accuvoice-soundbar-with-6-level-audiology-dialogue-d-20180601173308143_612964_611.jpg
Respected Contributor

@SilleeMee

Thank you so much for remembering my post.  

Yes, DH did purchase a Bose soundbar.  It's doesn't really serve the purpose of just enhancing the spoken word or modulating the overall sound.  I don't notice improved sound quality, though my husband says he does.  

I really dislike the fact that it can't be programmed to work with our TV remotes so each of us can independently mute the sound.

Thanks again.

Honored Contributor

Coincidentally we switched to DISH a few months ago and the installer sold us a Polk system.  I have been complaining for years about the poor quality of our flat screen speakers.  I love this thing, especially for music like The Voice and award shows.  DH thinks we wasted our money, but he is losing his hearing anyway.  He absolutely cannot stand the base component, so that is sitting unused.  When DD comes up to visit, I will have her work with the base speaker.  Isn't that a woofer?  That's how much I know. 

Trusted Contributor

@SilleeMee wrote:

I know exactly what you are talking about @Allegheny. On my TV there is a choice of audio listening modes. There are settings for movies, music, sports and also one for voice (speech). I have my TV set on the 'voice' mode so that way I can hear what people are saying rather than the background music or noises. I'm glad my TV has that feature. Did you check your TV audio settings? Maybe yours might have this feature, too.Woman Happy

This is timely, i just turned the audio volume leveling off and it is crystal clear now, thanks for the info SilleeMee Smiley Happy

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@depglass

It is probably a subwoofer if it is a 3 or 5 speaker system.  I have a Polk 6 speaker Surround Sound on our patio room 65" tv. There are level adjustments on my subwoofer where I can adjust both the volume and the decibel(db) levels also. Might read the owners manual, if it came with one. If not go to Polk website and you can probably put in the Model number and then download that manual.

Mine works great, but unlike your DH, my hearing is pretty good, in spite of working in a very loud factory for 33 years and being very close to race car engines for many years.

The slimmer the tv sets get, the audio usually suffers, tiny audio system are getting better, but not really that good. This is especially true for those that like great sound, and also enhances the dialogue, to make it much clearer.

hckynut(john)

hckynut(john)
Super Contributor

@dex wrote:

You described my DH and I perfectly.We had to quit watching the same tv and so far that is the only solution that worked for us.

My DH and I also! And he is a TV guy - has it on all the time. I get so tired of the noise, and like someone else said, I am sensitive to the loud volume.