Esteemed Contributor

So called free anti virus software

A computer tech helped me through a problem (she is a friend).  She installed two free antivirus programs.  Yesterday after two years I got a notice from one of the companies I had been charged for a year of new service.  This company kept sending popups over and over and I kept clicking them off, ignoring them.  In any case I still got a bill for what I did not want or buy.  I called Paypal and they removed an automatic feature.  I called the company that sets of the bllling for the anti virus software.  They took the charge off.  

Both phone calls worked well for me and I am free and clear of any add ons or other charges.  HOWEVER THE ORIGINAL COMPANY WHO CREATED THE SOFTWARE TO PROTECT ME TRIED TO TAKE ADVANCE OF  ME. 

I am venting but I guess my main question for writing this is to find out if anyone else has been plagued by constant popups over and over and over that end up with charges not authorized.  IS THERE A WAY TO END THIS KIND OF THING?

Respected Contributor

Re: So called free anti virus software

[ Edited ]

@bonnielu wrote:

A computer tech helped me through a problem (she is a friend).  She installed two free antivirus programs.  Yesterday after two years I got a notice from one of the companies I had been charged for a year of new service.  This company kept sending popups over and over and I kept clicking them off, ignoring them.  In any case I still got a bill for what I did not want or buy.  I called Paypal and they removed an automatic feature.  I called the company that sets of the bllling for the anti virus software.  They took the charge off.  

Both phone calls worked well for me and I am free and clear of any add ons or other charges.  HOWEVER THE ORIGINAL COMPANY WHO CREATED THE SOFTWARE TO PROTECT ME TRIED TO TAKE ADVANCE OF  ME. 

I am venting but I guess my main question for writing this is to find out if anyone else has been plagued by constant popups over and over and over that end up with charges not authorized.  IS THERE A WAY TO END THIS KIND OF THING?

Yes, buy a antivirus program.  You can't expect a company to develop a program then give it away free of charge. 

Honored Contributor

Just a couple of notes. Two antivirus programs on the same computer typically leads to trouble. Only install one. It's a really bad idea to ignore pop-ups from your security software. More often than not they're trying to tell you something important. And finally, the security software included with Windows is generally adequate for most users, and it comes with the operating system so it's essentially free. You typically don't need more than that.

Fly!!! Eagles!!! Fly!!!
Valued Contributor

I agree with gardenman.  For years I had Avast free antivirus and it worked just fine for me.  When, Windows 10 rolled out the update last spring, my computer basically died so I took it to a computer repair shop who fixed it and told me at the time that I didn't need another antivirus other than Windows Defender that comes free with Windows 10.  It works well and I scan often with it and haven't had an issue.  I also don't click on links in emails, etc. or go to weird websites.  

Esteemed Contributor

That is why we like our new CB's they have built in virus protection. I am glad we are rid of windows computers.  

Trusted Contributor

@apple1964 wrote:

That is why we like our new CB's they have built in virus protection. I am glad we are rid of windows computers.  

yes when i 1st got my first cb.. i asked them 2 times are you sure i dont need a virus protector? i was a little confused i wanted to make sure.. my other computer i had norton and i still got a virus! plus norton was expensive i think, 1st yr was bad enough but the 2nd yr they raised the rates. i was not happy... im always gonna have a cb

Esteemed Contributor

@gardenman  I am incorrect. I have two programs BUT  I have Avast free version.  And I have Malwarebytes.   I don't think they are the same kind of anti virus programs.  I don't mind paying for anything that will work but the way  Avast hangs out and waits for me to select by mistake a choice that I did not intent to make rather scares me.  

I am wondering about the program that comes with Windows 10.  Wondering how to locate it and tell if it is fully operational.  

Honored Contributor

@bonnielu

Generally speaking you can use both an antivirus and Malwarebytes.

As to finding Windows Defender, you hit the old Start button, scroll down to the W's and find "Windows Defender Security Center." Click on that and the Windows Defender dashboard will pop up. If you've got green checkmarks on each category (except for maybe family settings or something like that) you're good to go.

Fly!!! Eagles!!! Fly!!!
Esteemed Contributor

@bonnie f wrote:

@apple1964 wrote:

yes when i 1st got my first cb.. i asked them 2 times are you sure i dont need a virus protector? i was a little confused i wanted to make sure.. my other computer i had norton and i still got a virus! plus norton was expensive i think, 1st yr was bad enough but the 2nd yr they raised the rates. i was not happy... im always gonna have a cb

You do not have to worry anymore CB 's have built in virus protection. It has something to do I believe with it being cloud based. Our local grammar school changed over from windows based computers to this. I have been using a CB when they first came out back in 2015 and I never ever got a virus.  Also it updates by it self which I love. ENJOY YOURS! Woman Wink

Esteemed Contributor

@bonnielu wrote:

@bonnielu- I got the same pop-up from McAfee.  Tell me that it had expired (it hasn't) I get it free through my internet provider.  It pops up when I'm using Firefox.