Respected Contributor

Re: So I have this flip phone.......................

@SilleeMee

The cards I buy for my Tracfone are just to purchase minutes, not a SIM card (and I don't know what that is anyway).  When I bought the phone I got double minutes forever so when I purchase a 60 minute airtime card it puts in 120 minutes.  Good luck with your new phone.  . 

Esteemed Contributor

@SilleeMee  Please let me know how you like your new flip phone. I also use an older flip phone for much the same reasons. And, mine also lives in the car 365 days per year.  

Money screams; wealth whispers.
Respected Contributor

@BirkiLady wrote:

@SilleeMee  Please let me know how you like your new flip phone. I also use an older flip phone for much the same reasons. And, mine also lives in the car 365 days per year.  

As others have pointed out, that isn't a good idea.  Mainly because of the extreme temperatures you have in the car parked either outside or in a unheated garage. 

I know a lot of people only have a cell phone for emergencies.  Do you think you only have an emergency while in your car,  away from home or close to a landline?  Having a cell with you can be the difference betweeen getting help right away or not. 

Honored Contributor

@Lilysmom @glb613

Thanks Woman Happyfor letting me know about leaving my phone in the car where the extreme temps can damage it. I've had a flip phone in my car like forever and never had any problems. But I will keep that in mind. I know, too, that I should carry my phone with me when I exit my vehicle...but I always forget! 

Honored Contributor

@BirkiLady wrote:

My new phone will probably be used only a few times a year...once to activate it, another time to refill minutes and maybe to place a call when I'm away from home.  It's just a really basic flip phone...not much to rave about but the less complicated is better for me. Hope the service is okay though. Never had a Tracfone before. Woman Happy

Esteemed Contributor

@SilleeMee, dont throw the old one away yet.

I have and use TracFone, and recommend them to others, but I'd never order a phone directly from them. My first TracFone was their $10.00 flip fone, which I got on sale for $5.00.

NO phone can just sit in the car for a year, unused, and still be working when you need it.

Your TracFone must be used with a minimum frequency... I forget the interval they allow, but after the phone sits idle for a certain length of time  (is it 60 days?) the phone number will be deactivated and your minutes and airtime will (POOF!) vanish.

Also, AT&T cell towers operate on GSM technology. Did you have good service in your area with GSM? Do you want another cell that operates on GSM?

Most TracFones operate on CDMA technology, so if you prefer GSM you have to look for it.

Neither is an advantage. It's just what towers dominate, and what reception is best in the geographical area you're going to be using the phone.

25¢ a minute to talk!!!???????????

That strikes me as outrageously expensive.

BTW, I have plenty of minutes, and buy a year of just airtime from TracFone for $50.

Why would you buy 400 minutes for a phone you don't really plan to use much?

No, you aren't required to buy anything every 90 days. 

A flip fone will be 'single bucket', whereas smartphones are 'triple bucket'.

If you look here for info, be aware you may get (apples to oranges) info that doesn't apply to your phone from posters who mean well.

Surprizing (maybe not) no one mentioned the Accessibility features built into every smartphone. This offers a range of adaptations to improve accessibility for users who have impaired vision, hearing, or reduced dexterity.

You should be able to control a phone, even if you weren't able to hold it.

Honored Contributor

I already threw out the old phone. It's not compatible with any of the Tracfone sim cards. So I bought a new flip phone from Tracfone for $10. They say i have to buy their 'plan' in order to activate that new phone, which I plan on doing. Tracfone states I need to refill every 6 months to keep the phone active. So I'll just buy whatever is a good bargain since I hardly ever use a cellphone at all. @x Hedge

Honored Contributor

@BirkiLady wrote:

Got the phone and loaded it with some minutes. Tracfone dot com was so easy to follow directions. I ordered an 'Auto-load' minutes plan so I don't have to worry about losing service. The flip phone is very basic, easy for me and that's all I really need. @BirkiLady

Esteemed Contributor

Have you completed a call yet, @SilleeMee?

Cogito ergo sum
Honored Contributor

@Sweetbay magnolia wrote:

Have you completed a call yet, @SilleeMee?

Yes, I did that right after I loaded the minutes onto it. I called my home phone and that way I could see my new cell number on the CID. @Sweetbay magnolia