Honored Contributor

Re: So I have this flip phone.......................

[ Edited ]

@SilleeMee wrote:

When I typed the number of my old sim card, that I took out of my flip phone, Tracfone says there's no device compatible. All I see listed are smart phones and no flip phones. 

I might have to buy a new flip phone that is compatible with Tracfone service. Is that what I need to do?...buy a new phone?

@SilleeMee

That's the problem I'm having with Tracfone about which phone to buy???

You have to enter that sim card number to see if it's compatible. You cannot do that until you buy the phone?? What we have to keep buying phones until we find one that will work?

I have not been able to get an answer on this from anyone.

Since they quit doing their triple mins they have not been selling any GSM phones only phones with CDMA. GSM phones work in my area.

I can use Tracfone BYOP but how do I know which phone will work before I buy it??? Tracfone can't even give me an answer.

I know I need an unlocked phone.

Honored Contributor

It appears to me that a person has to buy a new phone that shows which services are compatible with it and go with whatever one might work for you. Trying to go the other way around by trying to find service for an older phone is a pain in the neck. 

Honored Contributor

@SilleeMee

If there is an AT&T store near you, why not go there & express your concerns to them?  I would speak w/the manager of the store before speaking w/the sales folks.

"Never argue with a fool. Onlookers may not be able to tell the difference."

220-AuCC-US-CRM-Header-Update.gif

Honored Contributor

Iwas told if you buy a tracfone, go to hsn, i do not know if that is true,but that is where i bought my phone.

When you lose some one you L~O~V~E, that Memory of them, becomes a TREASURE.
Honored Contributor

@Mz iMac wrote:

@SilleeMee

If there is an AT&T store near you, why not go there & express your concerns to them?  I would speak w/the manager of the store before speaking w/the sales folks.

I did talk with the ATT CS department about my flip phone and they said the only thing they could do is sell me another sim card for it then that way I could buy their minutes for 25 cents per minute and to keep the service active I have to buy minutes every 90 days or else my phone will lose activation. All I want is a phone I can just keep in my car w/o having to do anything for one full year. 

Honored Contributor

@goldensrbest wrote:

Iwas told if you buy a tracfone, go to hsn, i do not know if that is true,but that is where i bought my phone.

All of their phones are smart phones. I can't use them. I have extreme dexterity issues.

Honored Contributor

See what you can find out about the jitterbug, or consumer cellular. My mom has a flip with the later one.

When you lose some one you L~O~V~E, that Memory of them, becomes a TREASURE.
Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

Okay here's what I did...

Tracfone has on their website a basic flip phone on sale w/free sh for $10. 

Tracfone also sells 365-days worth of airtime (400 minutes total), which I did not know existed. Cost of the 400 minutes is $99 which can only be purchased after I get my new cell phone activated thru them. 

Problem solved!! happy dance.gif

Thanks to all!

@goldensrbest @Mz iMac @Nightowlz @fthunt @qbetzforreal

'CLUNK'...that's the sound of my old flip phone hitting the bottom of my trash can.

Honored Contributor

@SilleeMee wrote:

Okay here's what I did...

Tracfone has on their website a basic flip phone on sale w/free sh for $10. 

Tracfone also sells 365-days worth of airtime (400 minutes total), which I did not know existed. Cost of the 400 minutes is $99 which can only be purchased after I get my new cell phone activated thru them. 

Problem solved!! happy dance.gif

Thanks to all!

@goldensrbest @Mz iMac @Nightowlz @fthunt @qbetzforreal

'CLUNK'...that's the sound of my old flip phone hitting the bottom of my trash can.

@SilleeMee

Glad you solved your problem.

We both use an LG Smartphone. We buy the 1 yr service card plus extra text mins.

That's what we should do for my MIL since she does not like the Smartphone. She prefers the flip phone.

Esteemed Contributor

@SilleeMee, I don’t know where you live.  Just wanted to mention it is not a good idea to leave your phone in your car.  Extreme temps, hot and cold, can damage the battery.  From what you said, I was worried you were leaving it in the car.  Keep it in your handbag as opposed to the car.  It would be bad to have an emergency and find out you couldn’t power your phone on.

Glad you solved your problem!  LM