Esteemed Contributor

I have a SAmsung s-6 and hubby has the s7....

We got a Pleson disc type fast charger than you just lay your phone on. Amazon has them for around $10

Honored Contributor

I have Samsung 8plus- fast charger came with my phone. 

Esteemed Contributor

@software, I've been paying attention to charge times since you posted this.  I did underestimate recharge time, but not by much.

The other day I ran one phone battery down to 7% then put it on the charger. I closed all apps and turned off the WiFi. After 1 hour I checked it and it was up to 77%. I open some apps and began using the phone on WiFi while it was still on the charger. I think it took about another hour to get from 77 up to 100 while I was using it.

Your question here has made me think about how WiFi slows down the recharge. I think leaving the WIFI on means the phone is processing all sorts of things in the background and using battery to do that so it slows down the recharge. Thanks to you I've learned to make sure Wi-Fi is shut down while phone on the charger.

Ok. Just reached 100% on my older phone.

Battery was down to 13% when I put it on the charger at 10:30 a.m. I checked at 12:20 p.m. and it is at 100% may have been at 100 for a few minutes already. I'm back to my original question; how fast is a fast charger compared to this?

Honored Contributor

Thanks for your reply.

I really don't know how fast it is but the TV commercials say 20 minutes.   However, is that 20 minutes with it turned off or nothing running?  There always seems to be a caveat.

I've learned a lot about charging from this thread and from looking at my phone and seeing what the heck is going on that keeps mine from charging faster.  

I think one thing is my screen saver.   Which you didn't mention specifically but it's "running" so I need to disable it when I'm charging.

I'm not running anything in the car, my car charger is so slow.    But I've done some experimenting myself and I agree with you.    Keep everything off, including my screen saver and my phone is doing a better job getting up to 100%.

@x Hedge

Esteemed Contributor
@software, I've never turned on the built in screen saver on either phone cuz it draws from battery but doesn’t add add anything functionally.

I noticed you wrote you put your phone on the charger when it's only down to 40% or 50% rather than waiting till it signals you to recharge. (Usually around 10% or 15%)

I was taught these batteries are meant to be deeply discharged, then fully recharged before using again. Last nite I let one phone get down to 2% before recharging to 100% (I admit I sometimes use mine while it's charging.) I know there are different types of rechargeable batteries and this may not apply to modern phones, but the battery guy said routinely charging before it needs it, lets say at 70%, "teaches the battery" to resist or not be able to charge fully if you changed your charging habit. If you charged from 70 to 100% all the time, the battery learns +30% is a full charge.
Im sorry i cant explain the way i heard it.

But I thought if your battery has become resistant, that might be why the trickle is so low that your phone is estimating another 4+ hours!

That's why I routinely let mine drop low, to 5% for example, so the battery has to take on 95% to reach a full charge.
If this doesn't apply to modern phone batteries I'm sorry I wasted your time.
Honored Contributor

I have a Samsung Galaxy S7 and it came with its own OEM rapid charger.  I run it down to 15% or less (which takes 4.5 to 5 days for me) and it charges up within an hour.   I haven't checked the exact time.

Honored Contributor

@x Hedge wrote:
@software, I've never turned on the built in screen saver on either phone cuz it draws from battery but doesn’t add add anything functionally.

I noticed you wrote you put your phone on the charger when it's only down to 40% or 50% rather than waiting till it signals you to recharge. (Usually around 10% or 15%)

I was taught these batteries are meant to be deeply discharged, then fully recharged before using again. Last nite I let one phone get down to 2% before recharging to 100% (I admit I sometimes use mine while it's charging.) I know there are different types of rechargeable batteries and this may not apply to modern phones, but the battery guy said routinely charging before it needs it, lets say at 70%, "teaches the battery" to resist or not be able to charge fully if you changed your charging habit. If you charged from 70 to 100% all the time, the battery learns +30% is a full charge.
Im sorry i cant explain the way i heard it.

But I thought if your battery has become resistant, that might be why the trickle is so low that your phone is estimating another 4+ hours!

That's why I routinely let mine drop low, to 5% for example, so the battery has to take on 95% to reach a full charge.
If this doesn't apply to modern phone batteries I'm sorry I wasted your time.

I knew that was true with the older phones/batteries, I'm talking many years ago, I was thinking these new batteries didn't.   But you could be right and I will consider that.   I panic when I get too low, particularly when it takes so long to recharge.   I need to dig out my portable charger and keep it charged and handy in case I do need it.

Respected Contributor

@software wrote:

@Moonchilde wrote:

@software wrote:

Anyone have good luck with a fast charger?   My phone keeps a charge for a long time but when I have to re-charge, seems to take forever.

I've done some research, the fast charger I'm looking at is less than $20, well worth it if it works.

Any suggestions?    Any experience?

(seems like I'm always whining about a phone!!)

Does your phone support true Quick Charge technology? If it does not, there’s a limit to how rapidly it will charge, period. 

My phone automatically quick charges with the cable it came with or the USB-C car charger you can buy. I charge my phone many times while driving.

I considered that, I've been given several suggestions to try before I make the purchase.   I will have to check to see if my phone will support the technology.   In general, I've read that Samsung phones do (then why don't they include a fast charger?)

@software I have the Samsung Galaxy S8 and it came with the fast charger. I also purchased additional fast chargers (plug in & car charger) from eBay.

Honored Contributor

@DJs mom wrote:

@software wrote:

@Moonchilde wrote:

@software wrote:

Anyone have good luck with a fast charger?   My phone keeps a charge for a long time but when I have to re-charge, seems to take forever.

I've done some research, the fast charger I'm looking at is less than $20, well worth it if it works.

Any suggestions?    Any experience?

(seems like I'm always whining about a phone!!)

Does your phone support true Quick Charge technology? If it does not, there’s a limit to how rapidly it will charge, period. 

My phone automatically quick charges with the cable it came with or the USB-C car charger you can buy. I charge my phone many times while driving.

I considered that, I've been given several suggestions to try before I make the purchase.   I will have to check to see if my phone will support the technology.   In general, I've read that Samsung phones do (then why don't they include a fast charger?)

@software I have the Samsung Galaxy S8 and it came with the fast charger. I also purchased additional fast chargers (plug in & car charger) from eBay.

If you don't mind, define "fast".

I let my battery go down to 8% today, put it on the charger in my car on the way home from work, put it on charge at home, after 7 hours, it's showing 92%.   I find that unacceptable.   Or is it?

Honored Contributor

@chickenbutt wrote:

I have a Samsung Galaxy S7 and it came with its own OEM rapid charger.  I run it down to 15% or less (which takes 4.5 to 5 days for me) and it charges up within an hour.   I haven't checked the exact time.

I may have to bite the bullet and get a fast charger to try.

1 hour seems reasonable.

7 hours is not.