Honored Contributor

@quilter61 wrote:

I am going to have to do something as the cost keeps going up and I am on a fixed income.   Every year the cost goes up.

Consider getting a fire stick (1 time payment), an antenna (1 time payment) & just get internet w/your cable co.  If your phone is through them to, get that also. 

"Never argue with a fool. Onlookers may not be able to tell the difference."

220-AuCC-US-CRM-Header-Update.gif

Trusted Contributor

I've had ATT Uverse for years.  Every year I renegotiate my rate so it doesn't go up.  

What I do is research to see what the cost of comparable service will be with all alernatives.  I call ATT and tell them I'm cancelling becuase I can get X service for less money and give them the figure.  Always get a match.  

At this point if I was to cancel my Uverse TV and Internet in place of Internet + streaming services, I would likely pay more per month.

I would also assume that you may need to get rid of the Land Line if you go to streaming services.  My MIL has a router from ATT which she had to purchase for around $200 up front and pays monthly for the service.  That is way cheaper than paying for normal land line phone service.

Esteemed Contributor

Re: Sling TV Or Hulu Live

[ Edited ]

I had DirectTV and they tried to raise my rates $65 a month. They would not negotiate. They didn't even care when we cancelled them. We canceled them and got Hulu Live and couldn't be happier. They have pretty much all the cable channels we watched. Animal Planet, Fox News, CNN, ESPN etc. without all the useless channels like 65 channels of nothing but informercials, (I counted 65 informercial channels alone) plus religion, music etc. I'm sure you can get those if you want. 

Trusted Contributor

Re: Sling TV Or Hulu Live

[ Edited ]

I too have Hulu Live and with the Apple TV, televison is again good to watch.

The Supreme Happiness Of Life Consists In The Conviction That One Is Loved.
I come from the beautiful and sunny Athens Greece
Honored Contributor

@Mz iMac wrote:

@Jordan2 wrote:

@Mz iMac wrote:

@Jordan2  "I have thought of going to Verizon, but I really won't be saving that much over Spectrum."

Are you sure about that?  Verizon no longer has bundles.  They now have a Mix & Match plan w/no hidden costs & fees.

@Mz iMac I went online to their website, and I was putting what I wanted in my cart. It came out to be around $200, so not really saving that much. I wonder if I called them they could do better?

NOPE!  No more negotiating. icon_exclaim.gif

Have you considered getting a firestick?  Amazon is running a FS 4k sale.  Unknown if for Prime members only.

I have four TVs, two are Smart two are not. I have a Fire Stick for one and a Roku for the other. 

Honored Contributor

Different streaming services offer different program packages. I opted for Sling Orange and Blue and it's perfect for me. It's $45 a month but gives me all the channels I want.

I also switched ISP's from Comcast to Verizon when Comcast wouldn't give me a better deal. I get a year of Disney+ and the same Internet speed for $22 less than I was paying. I'm very happy with my setup now.

Fly!!! Eagles!!! Fly!!!
Esteemed Contributor

@Jordan2

You may want to do a bit of research on cutting the cord.

There is site "  cord cutting Com.

Antennaweb. org will tell you local channels that will run with an antenna.

Who will Provide your landline service.?

Honored Contributor

You all might want to check the archives here in the Electronics Forum using the title, "cutting the cord".  There's a lot of information about reducing your cable bill.

New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment
Occasional Contributor

It is FUBO, I wrote it wrong before. It is a streaming service like the rest of them. A friend told me about it. I went through the channel lines up's of all out there and FUBO offered the ones that I really watch. I think it is 55.00 a month. I just set a cancellation date for my cable. I am going out of town for 2 weeks mid February so when I get home again I will set up the FUBO app on my TV. I hope I like it.

FUBO.tv is the address

Honored Contributor

We have Sling TV and regular Hulu (not live). For live cable channels, I really like Sling a lot. You can favorite the channels you acually watch and look at the listings for just them. And you can set shows to record to your digital DVR, as well as find lots of on demand. And they have TCM which was really important for us.

All the shows currently playing on your liked channels and your recordings show up on your My TV screen, which is the first thing you see. It just works really well, especially on the Roku.

We tried Hulu Live, Youtube Live, and some other service I can't remember now, and Sling was the big winner for day to day use.

When you’re accustomed to privilege, equality feels like oppression.
"Power without love is reckless and abusive, and love without power is sentimental and anemic." - Dr. Martin Luther King Jr