Honored Contributor

Re: Should I upgrade to High Sierra?

@glb613 wrote:

@Lilysmom wrote:

FYI, I am having an issue with a jumping cursor.  I was told not to upgrade as we search for a fix.  LM

I've decided to do a restore and go back to Sierra. If it stops the jumping cursor, I'll be sure to post.  I've always updated going back to my Windows days but, I think my computers are too old for the new operating system.  I've also noticed the fan blowing a lot more when using my Macbook since upgrading the operating system.   

The fan running more implies that the new OS is using the CPU a lot more. When you look at how computer hardware has improved over the last 20-30 years our computers should be flying these days, but the computing experience is largely that same..

My first "real" PC had a 100 mhz single core Pentium processor while my current PC has a six core 3.5 ghz CPU. That's six cores with each core running 35 times faster than my old, original PC. That old PC ran Windows 95, the first "modern" operating system and ran it well. For each step forward in hardware, the OS writers have offset it by making the OS bulkier and bulkier. That first computer only had a 1.2gb hard drive and had two full operating systems on it (Windows 3.11 and Windows 95) with loads of room to spare for other files. Windows 10 requires something like 15 gb's of space now for just the OS. 

I think the folks at Google are onto something with their Chrome operating system and Chromebooks, Chromeboxes and now their Chromebits (a Chrome computer on a stick for $85.) They've made a small, simple, fast, safe operating system that lets you use older tech but runs faster and arguably safer, than the other more mainstream operating systems. It's a very clever move on their part. They've made using a computer faster, easier, safer, and cheaper. 

Their Chromebit now lets you turn any display with a spare HDMI port into a Chrome computer. Add a bluetooth keyboard/touchpad/mouse and that 65" HDTV suddenly becomes a Chrome computer simply by plugging in the Chromebit stick. It's pretty neat stuff.

I have a suspicion that the folks at Apple and Microsoft will be looking to follow that model in the not too distant future. 

Fly!!! Eagles!!! Fly!!!
Esteemed Contributor

[ Edited ]

@gardenman, I am going to be looking for you next time I buy a new computer😀!  LM

PS, I am using Calibre Library software on my MacBook Pro.  I don't believe Apple supports this software.

Wondering if anyone uses a library supported by Apple.  I can't use Kindle because it is not supported by my public library.  I am still using my Sony PRS 650 ereader.  I have a sneaking suspicion I may have to buy a new ereader.  Kobo bought Sony sadly.  I don't like Kobo.  If I get a new ereader I will get one that I can download to directly without using a library...

Honored Contributor

@Lilysmom wrote:

@gardenman, I am going to be looking for you next time I buy a new computer😀!  LM

PS, I am using Calibre Library software on my MacBook Pro.  I don't believe Apple supports this software.

Wondering if anyone uses a library supported by Apple.  I can't use Kindle because it is not supported by my public library.  I am still using my Sony PRS 650 ereader.  I have a sneaking suspicion I may have to buy a new ereader.  Kobo bought Sony sadly.  I don't like Kobo.  If I get a new ereader I will get one that I can download to directly without using a library...

@Lilysmom

I was pretty lucky when I bought commercially built computers. My first PC was a Pionex with a 100 mhz Pentium 1 processor and cost $1999 in 1995. I got seven plus years of use out of that computer without having to replace anything. (I did add more memory to it however.) I kept that computer hanging around until a couple of years ago when my local Radio Shack had a program where they'd dispose of old computers for you. It still worked fine even then when I'd dust it off and fire it up.

I followed that up with an eMachines desktop for around $500 that I also used for seven years (2002-2009.) That computer needed a new power supply, but was otherwise fine. I then opted to build my own computer and used it in the original configuration for eight years with only a new power supply needed. (The original power supply wasn't great, but it was included with the case I bought, so I used it and got about five years of use out of it.) That computer cost me about $700 to build, but the advantage was I could reuse the case, power supply, optical drives, hard drives, etc. in any new build. I used that computer in that configuration from 2009-2017 then this spring I rebuilt it with a new motherboard, 6 core 3.5 ghz CPU, solid state drive, 8 gigs of RAM and Windows 10. The upgrade cost me around $400. I'm expecting to get another seven to eight years of use out of this configuration.

None of my computers have died. They've all lived long enough to become obsolete. All of them were still functioning fine when I replaced them. I've kept the motherboard, CPU and memory from my first build to use for a home theater PC (HTPC), but with things like the Chromebits computer on a stick selling for $85 it's probably cheaper to just buy one of those than buy the new power supply, case, and whatnots needed to make the HTPC.

I've only had to reach out for tech help twice. Once when Windows 95 came out and my first PC had a quirk where about every six months Windows 95 would look for the PCI/IDE controller and not find it, then start to load a generic one, only to then find the original PCI/IDE controller and get confused and just decide there was no PCI/IDE controller. That issue made my optical drive disappear. It was an easy fix once you knew how to fix it however. All you had to do was delete a "NOIDE" entry from the registry and it was fine.

The second issue came from a failed install of Kaspersky anti-spyware that altered Windows installer and made it impossible to install some software. Microsoft eventually threw up their hands on that issue, but I eventually resolved it on my own. (It was another registry issue and using a registry cleaner fixed the problem.)

When I build or invest in a computer, I don't look for the cutting edge, just out of the lab stuff. I want tech that's a year or two old and the glitches have been found by others and fixed, or at least identified. My latest build used parts that had been on the market for at least six months and in most cases longer. By using older components you can find components with hundreds of reviews highlighting any issues with the component. There are some very expensive, high end motherboards with very bad reviews. There are some very inexpensive, lower end motherboards that are extremely reliable. I tend to go for cheap and reliable. Every component I used in this latest build had at least a four and a half star rating with at least a hundred reviews. You might still get a dud, but the odds of getting a reliable device increase dramatically when you use older, well tested components. It's not hard to find computer components with 1.5-2.5 star ratings. If you build a computer with those components the odds of trouble go way, way up.

My PC's have been amazingly reliable. I've found Windows 10 to be very stable and reliable so far. I like that Microsoft isn't replacing it every few years, but just installing incremental upgrades. My computers won't impress the computer snobs, but they work and work well and that's more important to me than having the latest and gereatest tech.

Fly!!! Eagles!!! Fly!!!
Esteemed Contributor

Off to check out Chromebits on a stick...

Esteemed Contributor

Re Chromebit, for those who are new to the term, here it is...LM

https://lifehacker.com/pc-stick-showdown-intel-compute-stick-vs-google-chrome-1760226979

Respected Contributor

@Lilysmom wrote:

I can borrow books from my library using both of my Apple computers, my iPhone and my iPad.  I use Overdrive and Cloud Library. 

Honored Contributor

@Lilysmom wrote:

Re Chromebit, for those who are new to the term, here it is...LM

https://lifehacker.com/pc-stick-showdown-intel-compute-stick-vs-google-chrome-1760226979

It's a pretty neat little toy for $85. Technology is changing rapidly and to put that much tech in that small a device is kind of impressive.

Fly!!! Eagles!!! Fly!!!
Esteemed Contributor

@glb613, ok, will check out overdrive.  Does that mean you read on the iPad?  I love my Sony ereader.  Kobo makes a cheap ereader in comparison.  I know I am going to have send it to the electronic graveyard but I sure will miss it.  LM

Honored Contributor

Not keeping up with the newest operating system releases almost always leads to frustration down the road.  Just do it!  LOL!!!

Esteemed Contributor

@Sooner, I have an appointment Tuesday at the Genius Bar.  That is one of my questions for them.  I think I should do it too.  LM