Esteemed Contributor

Should I upgrade to High Sierra?

On my MacBook Pro?  Why or why not?  Thanks in advance.  LM

Respected Contributor

Re: Should I upgrade to High Sierra?

[ Edited ]

@Lilysmom wrote:

On my MacBook Pro?  Why or why not?  Thanks in advance.  LM

I updated both my iMac and my Macbook Pro.  The only problem, one of my games (Clue which I LOVE to play) doesn't work anymore. 

Esteemed Contributor

@glb613, thanks for that.  On my last update on the iPad Pro, one of my games was not working as well.  I tried it a few days later and it was ok.  Hope yours kicks in again.

I should read about high Sierra to find out what's new.  LM

Honored Contributor

I can't think of any reason not to update a mac. I always update. 

Don't Change Your Authenticity for Approval
Honored Contributor

Upgrading is a personal choice.  Read the "what's new" info for High Sierra.  Good resources besides Apple are MacWorld & OS Daily.  The latter has "pros" & "cons" reviews.

Also, to find out if your software (Apple's & 3rd party) is compatible check out RoaringApps.

Personal opinion....

HS messed up my brand new iMac.  High Sierra nor its supplemental have "combo" downloads yet. 

I down graded back down to plain old Sierra OS 10.12.6.  Will wait until I think HS is ready for MY comp or skip it altogether.  Right now I have all the bells & whistles I need and/or want.

"Never argue with a fool. Onlookers may not be able to tell the difference."

220-AuCC-US-CRM-Header-Update.gif

Esteemed Contributor

What are you running currently?

I just went from Sierra to High Sierra with no problem on an early 2011 iMac and the early 2015 Mac Air.

I got left in the dust with the iMac (I'm not the primary user and I neglected it) and didn't update the OS for a long time - missed the bridge to Sierra and went through hoops to buy and install an interim and eosteric update in order to get to the current iteration.  I intend to always update now.  The process took me the better part of a day and some raging insecurity about the likelihood that it would actually happen.

The old iMac is performing well, even so.

Cogito ergo sum
Respected Contributor

I did it to make sure I had the latest Operating System with any new security/stability features.  I doubt that I'll ever use many of the "bells-and-whistles", but they're there if I ever change my mind.

Honored Contributor

I upgraded last week. Easy upgrade.  No problems. 

Why is it, when I have a 50/50 guess at something, I'm always 100% wrong?
Esteemed Contributor

FYI, I am having an issue with a jumping cursor.  I was told not to upgrade as we search for a fix.  LM

Respected Contributor

@Lilysmom wrote:

FYI, I am having an issue with a jumping cursor.  I was told not to upgrade as we search for a fix.  LM

I've decided to do a restore and go back to Sierra. If it stops the jumping cursor, I'll be sure to post.  I've always updated going back to my Windows days but, I think my computers are too old for the new operating system.  I've also noticed the fan blowing a lot more when using my Macbook since upgrading the operating system.