Honored Contributor

Re: Should I be concerned about buying a laptop from QVC?

@GracieKirby  Save your money, go to an Apple store, and never look back!

Trusted Contributor

@NicksmomESQ wrote:

@GracieKirby I bought a laptop a couple months ago for my son that was a TSV. It was a disaster.It kept freezing & was slower than the one he had that was 7 years old.I returned it as defective.

I ended up buying him one in Costco.It was $300 cheaper.My son loves it.It also came with a 4 year warranty!!

Same exact thing happened to my daughter. She bought an HP laptop from the Q that was very slow and froze up. Returned that one and bought locally from Best Buy. No problems with the new one, works like a charm. Lesson learned.

Esteemed Contributor

@chrystaltree wrote:

I can only say that every single laptop I ever bought for myself or for my girls or for my niece has come from QVC and we have had no complaints at all.

My first computer came from QVC back in 2001.  It was a gateway and lasted for years.  I bought a HP laptop a few years ago and I am on it right now.   I guess we got lucky.  I have had no issues.  I would not buy a Dell from anyone.  Hp with a intel pentium is the best n my eyes. 

Honored Contributor

I don't know about a laptop, but the Dell desktop computer I bought was definitely not worth the money, and only lasted 2 1/2 years.   I will not make that mistake again.   

Trusted Contributor

Honestly, if it were feasable, I'd build my own laptop, same as I bought the parts and built my desktop. But laptops don't work that way. So I've based my decisions on the components used combined with my planned uses combined with price.

I haven't paid much attention the past couple of years, but unless it has changed, my experience is that QVC does often offer older technology at premium prices. And the "bonuses" that are used to raise the "value" are only of value if they are something you want enough to pay for. Sometimes the "free software" includes apps that you could download and install yourself for free. Sometimes it's simply not something I would use.

As far as buying locally vs online, I won't argue that supporting the local economy is great. You may well be able to simply take it home with you and the return process may be quicker. But if you're shopping in a "big box" store, the knowledge of the sales people is going to be all over the place. Some do know quite a bit. Others are clueless, other than possibly having an interest in electronics. And don't forget, their goal is still to sell product, likely even specific models. It's all too easy (when selling any product, not just electronics) to emphasize what the purchaser indicates is important to them, and avoid or minimize mention of weaker specs of the product.

Esteemed Contributor

I check reviews.  I live on Amazon for reviews for just about everything. I think the shopping channels have lots of extras that mean little or nothing.  And I just love it when they talk more about the color choices than the features of the item.  And the big box stores that sell oodles of electronics... they would have the laptops right there front and center and you can actually touch them and see what you are getting. 

I have gotten help at Staples and Best Buy and don't feel they don't know their products. 

Honored Contributor

We bought our first computers from qvc, back in the day.  They were those big home computers.  Excellent. But we have had a few laptops since then, bad and good.  I know right now, I would never buy a Dell again, ever.  Customer service was lousy, computer lousy.  But I think  there are just lemons out there.  Yes, I would  buy a computer from QVC, if you mean as a company.  I wouldnt buy one from them because they are so overpriced.  Easy pay has to be why many people buy computers from them.  Their Apple products are a few hundred dollars more than anywhere else.  And some are outdated.  It is like they are getting old stock for a deal, then selling  them for more. 

I would really do big time homework before buying a computer.  Get your check list of things you want and need.  Many times they sell the computer for hundreds more because they throw a few extras in it.  Like cords, programs, accessories.  If you dont use the extra stuff it is not a bargain.  Remember when they throw extra cords in the mix, you can buy them for 20-30 bucks at best buy or target, not 200 dollars extra.  Jmho

Respected Contributor

Best Buy has just about everything you need and usually pretty knowledgeable help there also.

If they do not carry something in the store, you can order and pick up at your closest store or have delivered to your doorstep.

I like the store and so does everyone in the family - we all buy from there and have never had a problem returning or exchanging either. 

-Texas Hill Country-
Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

We are an "Apple family".  We purchase ONLY from the Apple Store On-Line, an Apple Retail Store, or an Apple Authorized Reseller.  We don't purchase Apple products from ANY TV shopping channel.

Others have commented on computers that are sold on QVC and the other TV Shopping Channels.  I'll let those words speak for themselves.

Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Cats3000 wrote:

We are an "Apple family".  We purchase ONLY from the Apple Store On-Line, an Apple Retail Store, or an Apple Authorized Reseller.  We don't purchase Apple products from ANY TV shopping channel.

Others have commented on computers that are sold on QVC and the other TV Shopping Channels.  I'll let those words speak for themselves.

Shopping channels as well as retail stores like Best Buy sell the exact same Apple product as you buy through Apple.  Apple controls what is made, the components installed and where it's made.  The only difference between buying from Apple or QVC is price.  If you want to buy Apple Care, you can do that through Apple and you will have the same warranty no matter where the computer was purchased.  You will pay more for the device if you buy it from QVC.  You may also buy an older model for a premium price. 

The same can be said for every other computer or tablet you buy.  QVC doesn't manufacture the devices.  What they offer comes from the manufacturer.  They may have a unique package where the colors or the hardware configuration is only available from QVC.  Otherwise, the same computer can be found elsewhere.  The extras they include may be worth it for some and worthless to others.  Only the buyer can decide if it is or isn't. 

Most people who have posted here buy from QVC because of EZ pay.  They don't seem to mind being overcharged to make monthly payments.  While I think it's a very foolish way to spend money, it's not my money.  If anyone is considering buying from QVC, do your "homework" and compare.  Find computers at other sites or directly from the manufacturer with the same configuration and see who has the better price.